ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Reading the "D" leaves

throwingoranges

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2012
I know. It's only been mere minutes since the last "what scheme will the defense run in the fall?" PM debate, but it seems like there are a lot more clues out there than in the past. I'm curious what some of you all think the defense will look like given the following information:

1.) In Penton's interview, he talks about focusing on his receiver and not worrying about the run game...
"Penton said a big difference in the cornerbacks this season is what they’re called on to do. “I’m not needed in the run game at all,” Penton said. “Just really focused on guarding key receivers every game and just worrying about that, just taking them out the game. “The corners really are just locked on the receivers, trying to take them off the play, not worrying about the run game.” It’s a change that Penton said suits the group."

Basically, the CBs will be playing their coverage quite differently than in the past. Perhaps the days of the loose zone are behind us.

2.) Newsom, in his interview, refers to several changes on defense relative to last year...
"More responsibilities. You have to know different positions, because for the inside linebackers, they've got to flop sometimes. SAM is considered a safety now so we're mainly coverage, which I did a lot last year, so that's more comfortable for me. Terez Hall, he's doing a good job at playing SAM, too, so it's really not that much different, just besides the interior."

In fairness, Mizzou played a lot of two LB formations with each guy playing essentially ILB. And though there were times that the 3rd LB took on some coverage responsibilities, it was often the case that a nickel was brought in instead. This new scheme implies that we'll be seeing at least three LBs more often, albeit one will be primarily in coverage.

3.) In contrast to Steck's old defensive staff, we now see a group of guys with very different backgrounds. Cross comes from TCU's 4-2-5, Walters and Odom ran a 3-4 at Memphis, Greg Brown was a part of Louisville's adoption of a 3-4 under Todd Grantham, both Wilson (USC) and Shipp (ASU) coached in predominantly 3-man fronts at their last stops, and the only defensive holdover from the original 4-3 staff, Ford, is now coaching RBs.

4.) Heupel's up-tempo offense must be a consideration for the defense. Playing hurry up can hurt your own defense just as much if it leaves them on the field for a long time. I think the loose-zone, bend-but-don't-break, defense we've been accustomed to, even one as good as last season's, would be an invitation to disaster with Heupel's offense.

For me, all of these signs point to a defense that will take away the short, wide-open pass from the QB while disguising the source(s) of pressure. Rather than waiting for the offense to make a mistake, they'll try to force mistakes with tight coverage and difficult reads so that they can get off the field faster. I'm expecting them to be very multiple, which should mean more 3-man fronts than we're used to seeing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.