GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Mizzou Softball Inks Homegrown Signing Class

COLUMIBA, Mo.
– Mizzou Softball head coach Larissa Anderson and her staff has added another impressive signing class.

Anderson and the staff focused on getting the top players from the state of Missouri. Of the Tigers' six signees, five are from the Show Me State. Mizzou's in-state signees include Katie Chester (Liberty), Cierra Harrison (Lee's Summit), Sami Huck (Potosi), Kayley Lenger (Liberty), and Lily Whitten (Tunas). However, the sole out of state signee, Mackenzie Nicholson (Atlanta, Ga.), has her own ties to the program in the form of her sister, current Tiger Taylor Nicholson.

Over Coach Anderson's four signing classes as the Tigers' head coach, she has made an emphasis on signing the top players from the state of Missouri. She has brought in 15 players from Missouri over her four signing classes, including former Missouri Gatorade Players of the Year in Gabi Deters and Julia Crenshaw. Deters initially signed with Kentucky, but transferred back home to Mizzou after her freshman season.

KATIE CHESTER​

Liberty, Mo. | Liberty North HS | Select Fastpitch

INF | 5-9

Another incoming Tiger from the Show Me State, Chester will make the short trip to Mizzou after putting up impressive numbers at the plate in her high school career. She is able to play either corner infield position and will look to make an early impact.

Chester finished her high school career with 44 home runs, the second most in MSHSAA history. She set the Liberty North home run record with 14 in 2019, which she broke again in 2021 with 18 home runs, representing the second most in a single season in MSHSAA history. Chester twice was named first team all-state and earned three all-region honors. Chester batted over .600 in her senior season with over 30 extra-base hits. Chester plays both high school and club ball with fellow signee Kayley Lenger.

Chester picked the Tigers over Wichita State, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa.

Chester: "It is close to home and the environment is insane. I went to a couple post season games, and it was the most fun I have ever had at a game. It is also close to home so my family can come watch me play. I clicked with the coaches on a different level, and I knew that it would be a great fit for me."

Anderson on Chester: "Katie Chester is an exciting addition to our program. She has outstanding power at the plate and she has the ability to play at either corner infield spot. We are very glad that she chose Mizzou."

CIERRA HARRISON​

Lee's Summit, Mo. | Lee's Summit North HS | Aces Fastpitch

RHP | 5-3 | No. T-16 Overall | No. 6 Pitcher

The top pitcher in the state of Missouri in the 2022 class, according to Extra Innings Softball, Harrison comes to Mizzou after an impressive high school career in the circle. She is the 16th ranked prospect in the nation according to Extra Innings Softball.

At Lee's Summit North high school, Harrison was named to the first team all-state team three times. She closed her career as the Broncos' all-time leader in wins and strikeouts. She struck out 1,023 batters over her high school career and finished her senior season with an ERA of 1.04. Harrison plays her club ball with the Demarini Aces.

A member of the Student Athletic Advisory Council, Harrison was named to the 2020 Academic All-State team and was recognized as the 2020 Avid Student of the Year. She has been named to the Honor Roll four times. Harrison chose Mizzou over Minnesota.

Harrison: It felt like home when I went on my visits. The coaches and girls were very welcoming, and I enjoyed my time at all three of my visits. It is also close to home where I can easily see my family.

Anderson on Harrison: "Cierra Harrison is an impressive pitcher with very high velocity and excellent movement. She commands the circle well and has shown herself to be a winner. We are excited that she is a Tiger."

SAMI HUCK​

Potosi, Mo. | Potosi High School | Select Fastpitch

LHP | 5-3

Left-handed ace Sami Huck joins the Tigers after leading the way in her prep career at Potosi High School where she shattered a pair of state records. The two-time First Team All-State pitcher set the new state strikeout record of 28 last spring as she threw 14 consecutive no-hit innings between the semifinal and final games to end her junior season with 300 K's in just 30 games.

Boasting a 0.717 career ERA, Huck was selected for First Team All-Conference, First Team All-district, First Team All-Region and Dream Team two years in a row. She was also named Dream Team Player of the Year and Extra Innings Softball National High School Player of the Week Honorable Mention twice during her junior season.

Huck put up impressive numbers outside of the circle as well. At the plate this past season, she posted a .579 batting average with a .695 on-base percentage while totaling 42 RBIs, 41 runs scored and 27 stolen bases. She tallied up strikeouts in the circle, opposing pitchers could not return the favor when Huck was at the plate. She did not strike out during the season.

A Missourian born and raised; Huck has always dreamed of competing at the next level in her home state. Huck plays club for Select Fastpitch in which she joins three of her current teammates in the Mizzou softball 2022 recruiting class. Huck chose the Tigers over Western Illinois.

Huck: "It has always been my dream to play at the next level and to compete at Mizzou. When I was little I just loved the mascot and the colors, but as I got older and really started loving softball and learning about the program and campus, I realized that I wanted to play in college and that college was going to be Mizzou."

Anderson on Huck: "Sami is a left-hander that we are looking forward to adding to our rotation. She has very good movement while commanding the strike zone. We are glad that she is staying home."

KAYLEY LENGER​

Liberty, Mo. | Liberty North HS | Select Fastpitch

1B/UTIL | 5-7

An athlete that can play many different positions on the field; Lenger joins the Mizzou Softball program after a decorated prep career. She helped the Liberty North Eagles to a conference championship in 2019 and then a district championship in 2021. Lenger and fellow signee Katie Chester are teammates at Liberty North HS.

Lenger was also a standout in the javelin. She earned a fourth-place finish at the state championships in 2021. She is one of four Tiger signees that play their club ball with Select Fastpitch, joining Chester, Lilly Whitten, and Sami Huck.

Outside of softball, Lenger is a member of the National Honor Society and she serves on the student council. She has lettered in softball, basketball, and track. In her spare time, she has served with the Special Olympics.

Lenger: "I chose Mizzou because of the culture, the school, the girls, and the coaches. The amount of love and support I received from everyone over this process was insane!! Mizzou is a perfect school for me. I am so excited to be continuing my academic and athletic career there next fall."

Anderson on Lenger: "Kayley is an impressive athlete that can play just about anywhere on the field. She brings tremendous power at the plate. We are so glad that she is a Tiger."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.