ADVERTISEMENT

Rock M: Pick Your Five

mjharr

Retired Number
Nov 30, 2015
Sam Snelling threw up a post today soliciting fans' preferences for a starting five and three bench players. I didn't really have a problem, but was curious what others might think.

Starters:
  • PG - Terrence Phillips: This was obvious enough. He needs to curb his turnovers, improve jump-shooting and do a better job defensively on bigger guards, but there is little doubt he's one of the better assets on the roster.
  • SG - K.J. Walton: Until VanLeer, Hughes or another individual shows they can reliably stretch defenses behind the arc, I lean on a guy who showed potential to create his own shot. The sample size is small (only 34 attempts) but KJ hist 36.4 percent of 3-point attempts, and that's on top of a knack for getting to the free-throw line. I know Kim and the staff might be partial to CVL, but at this point KJ gives them better shooting, more athleticism and better agility on the defensive end.
  • SF - Willie Jackson: There are nine underclassmen. All of our assets at the swing position are unknown, so I roll with Jackson because he can at least attack the rim. If Walton has a jumper that opponents respect, it takes a little bit of the burden off the freshmen.
  • PF - Jordan Barnett: OK, bear with me. People know my desire for this team to play small, push the pace and spread the floor. I think Barnett fits that template. You have to hope he can find the form that made him a coveted recruit. What I like, though, is the idea that as a recruit he was lauded as good rebounder on the perimeter and could guard multiple spots. This team will need both of those assets, especially if it wants to extend defensively and have bigs trap and hedge a lot. Also, you can trust him to dig down and add some length to help bigs on the block. I don't really care if the offense is slow to come back: Rebound. Defend. Create turnovers. Help MU get into the open floor.
  • C - Kevin Puryear: If he can evolve offensively to where he's got a little more polish and strength on the block to go with his face-up game, it could do wonders for the offense. You'd have to mobile "bigs" who can put defenders in jams away from the rim, opening up the floor for drivers like Phillips, Walton and Jackson. Even if you sub Hughes or VanLeer for Walton, there's a chance to use spacing to put defenders in binds where those two shooters have good looks off drive-and-kick portions of a spread set. Or you can use him and Barnett in pick-and-roll scenarios.
Bench:

• Mitchell Smith: This team may need size against larger front lines, along with some rim protection. Smith can give you that, in theory. Plus, if his passing ability really is good, you can some intriguing things with him at the elbow/high-post area. Over time, he might give you a bump in rebounding.
  • Cullen VanLeer: I feel as if his career is a referendum on Kim's staff. They see the potential. Now he needs to produce. Mizzou had no jump-shooting last year. It needs a guy who can come in and punish teams for sagging off or packing the lane. Additionally, you might be able to use him as a back-up ball-handler in a pinch.
  • Jordan Geist: I went this way over Nikko, if only because I'd like the style to be about pace, athleticism and getting out in the open floor. Plus, however minor, Nikko comes in with health questions. I haven't seen enough tape on Geist, but having the ability to bring in another reliable ballhandler to spell Phillips is essential.
As for Hughes, Nikko and Woods, it's wait and see. I can see a scenario where Hughes pushes out VanLeer. Or one where Walton is the odd man out. I want to limit Nikko's minutes, let him acclimate and stay healthy before increasing his workload. And Woods...well, he has five fouls he can give each night as MU tries to keep Puryear and Barnett from overheating from the heavy minutes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.