Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshfann43

Retired Number
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2017
St.Peters
www.showmefootball.com
Was named SEC special teams player of the week. Great honor. Good for her.

I know where this thread is going and I will probably regret making it and this is the last time I'll say anything about it. but let's keep it real. It was a 20 yard kick. Does that warrant special teams player of the week? Sure it was historic but outside of that there was no reason to give her that award as to someone who actually earned it. This was just another pandering event. I thought we were supposed to look at her like a kicker and not a woman?

I don't fault Sarah Fuller at all. She got a raw deal. I fault Vandy and the way it was conducted. They treated her like a make a wish kid and it was clear they didn't bring her in to really kick given Mason said her range wasn't all that great and they had her squib it. If this was Bama and there was a game they had coming up that could be decided by singular points they'd do this if given the chance? No. This was an 0-8 football team that saw a chance for positive PR.

However, my biggest takeaway is that they made the game about how if fuller can kick in this game that women can do anything and they can play football because Fuller did. Well, not really. I'm not saying they can't I'm saying that the fuller event doesn't mean they can. It's misleading because Sarah Fuller was ONLY given the chance because of extreme circumstances. She wasn't recruited and scouted and offered a scholarship. She didn't win the job. She was the focal point of a positive event by a failing program. It's false hope for the crowd that thinks this will pave the way for more female kickers.

Hopefully we can try this again soon in a meaningful setting. Regardless, congratulations to Sarah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.