ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP; Tribune Interviews MU Coaches

DSP73

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2013
Trib's Blake Toppmeyer doing yeoman's work, since he was in Hoover, interviewed MU staff after Rhoades hit the road.

I felt better reading what Wrestling Coach Brian Smith had to say. but first, how the coaches learned of his departure;

"...Most of Missouri’s coaches didn’t learn of Rhoades’ plans until after the news broke. Smith and Missouri volleyball Coach Wayne Kreklow said Sarah Reesman, an executive associate athletic director, called them Wednesday afternoon to tell him the news. Rhoades then met with some coaches who were on campus...."

Brian Smith Quote....

"...Mack came and talked to us real quick, and I went back to my practice room, and there was an open mat, and I had 35 guys, and I was kind of depressed. Then I walked in there, and I had a team working out to win the national title. So I’m like, I can’t focus on things like this. I’ve got to look and see the positives.

There is an unbelievable thing going on on the fourth floor of the Hearnes, and these kids were excited, and I told them that. I said, ‘Guys, you made my day today,’ because I keep finding out and you hear bad news, and you can sometimes dwell on it, but I focused on that. I have some unbelievable athletes. I have a kid in the room there that’s training for the Olympics.There are so many good things.

I just hope the next hire – I know Wren is the interim – if he comes the guy or whoever the guy is, I just hope the next guy is kicking the door down and it’s this great leadership and somebody here that’s going to hang out and stay with us for a while and believe what Mizzou is, because I love it here, and we can win national titles, and we can accomplish great things, and we do have great student-athletes.

I hope our leadership will see that and say, ‘Let’s hire this guy that’s going to make some special things happen and wants to be here.’ That’s all. I think that’s what every coach wants...".

http://www.columbiatribune.com/blog...-9af0-0007067661d9.html?_dc=686479755008.1487

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.