ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Since Gabe didn't totally shoot this down in the mailbag, I'll put it out here for discussion

firsttiger

Retired Number
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2001
Kansas City, MO
Interested in your opinion on a proposal I have: a 4 point field goal. It would have to be a long distance kick, but I'm not sure where to set the line; maybe 55 yards, maybe 60. A preface to my reasoning; I'm old enough to remember other scoring innovations, most of which were resisted by the "old guard", introduced by the newcomers, and then eventually accepted everywhere. These include the 3 point shot in basketball (ABL and later the ABA) and the 2 point conversion in football (college and the AFL). Most touchdowns result in 7 points, an odd number. Oftentimes, late in a game, the point differential swings back and forth between 3 and 4 points. A team trailing by 3 only needs a field goal to tie; one trailing by 4 needs a touchdown. If there were a 4 point field goal, it might add to the excitement and strategy. For example a team down 4 is driving with time running down and just inside the 4-point line; do they take a loss to keep the 4 point game tier a possibility? I know a counter argument might be that this might prompt more overtime games, which might not be looked upon with favor. Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.