ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY Softball sweeps A&M

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Had some technical difficulties in posting this yesterday, but here's the story from Eli Schnieders:

The No. 19 Mizzou Softball team advanced to 34-12 on the season (9-9 SEC) after sweeping Texas A&M Monday evening. The first two games of the series were walk-off victories with Amanda Sanchez’s RBI single on Saturday putting the Tigers up 7-6 over the Aggies. Chloe Rathburn’s seventh inning chopper Sunday evening put the Tigers at a 2-1 victory.

“There is nothing better than winning on a walk off,” Emily Crane said. “It just feels so much better to win that way because of all the excitement.”

Danielle Baumgartner pitched 6.25 of the seven innings Sunday night, allowing only one run while driving six strikeouts. Baumgartner was shy of two outs from a complete shutout until the Aggies added one run in the seventh and Lowary took over the circle to complete the game.

“It is always helpful to have an umpire who will call according to my strengths, and I think that’s what happened,” Baumgartner said. “I was able to hit the corner and that worked well for me. It was down and a little bit off but he was giving it to me.”

“The changeup is what made her so good,” head coach Ehren Earleywine said. “I just think every time they got into a count where they were going to square one up we would pull the string and that made all the difference.”

When it comes to Baumgartner’s considerable pitching zone, “It makes all the difference in the world,” Earleywine said. “She’s really smart with this stuff because that’s how she makes her living. The other girls don’t always notice it. They reach back and thump it in there, but she is wanting every inch she can get.”

The Tigers took the win in the bottom of the seventh Sunday evening when bases were loaded with one out and Rathburn at the plate. After a close play at the plate, Crane earned the game-winning run.

“My plan was to get in there as quick as I could and prevent the double play,” Crane said. “Coach asked me about it in the huddle and I told him the same thing; I felt safe. At the end of the day we won the game so I’m not mad.”

“On the field I thought she was out,” Earleywine said. “I came back in the office and watched it and it was a dead tie. If they would have to review that in the major leagues they would have to call it safe because there was no evidence of film showing otherwise.”

“A sweep is huge because Texas A&M is ranked bigger than us,” Sami Fagan said. I think it will bump us up in rankings and help us in postseason. We have had some tough spots here and there and I think these walk off wins are the best. No matter who hits it you are happy for them and it makes the team come together that much more. It is way more fun to win on a walk-off than anything else.”

The Tigers took Monday night’s 7-1 victory with Cheyenne Baxter in the circle. Baxter gave up only two hits while allowing one earned run. Emily Crane went 3-for-3 at the plate after being named SEC Softball Co-Player of the Week, marking her first career honor from the SEC.

Reactions: BWOODY and Indian29
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.