ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Masiello - HC at Manhattan

boobynugget

Retired Number
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2001
I heard this guy on the radio this morning on my drive in and was blown away...very personable and just seemed to have a coolness factor that many coaches don't possess, plus he has a ring from 1998 Kentucky and played under Pitino and Tubby Smith at Kentucky as a walk-on. On the radio, he broke down the Wisc/KY game and how Kentucky would probably attack Dekker with a combination of speed, size and strength because they have the depth to rotate in different match up issues because he thought Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky would pretty much cancel each other out. I found his take on several things interesting.

They asked him about Cal possibly going to the NBA for another chance to prove himself on that level if they went 40-0 and SM said "If I went 40-0, I'd drop the mic and walk away!". He said "NBA is a players game and coaches are hired to get fired".

He was with Pitino for 6 years before getting the Manhattan gig and would be at South Florida if not for him saying he had graduated from Kentucky when in reality he was a few credits short, a few months later he completed his classwork and has since graduated.

I'm sure he going to get locked up with a job on the East Coast, but I was surprised to see that he is still only 37 and if he stays at Manhattan, will be going into the last year of a 5 yr. contract. Pretty impressive resume for a guy that young.

This post was edited on 4/3 8:47 AM by boobynugget

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.