ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY TEN THOUGHTS ON THE WEEKEND IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We've broken down Mizzou and Kentucky every which way we can. Now let's look at some other things that happened across the country:

1) S-E-C! S-E-C!

I don't know who you were cheering for in Arkansas vs Texas. Personally I was cheering for Arkansas. They're far less irritating. And they're also quite good at social media.

Texas is starting to enter that "Nine wins ain't good enough for us so we'll fire you for that until we find a guy that wins six" mentality that got Nebraska where it is today. Steve Sarkisian might be great. But Tom Herman wasn't bad. He went 25-12 and won three bowl games in his final three seasons. Maybe he would have been okay? Just keep turning it over, though.

2) Speaking of things that never change, Iowa is still master of its domain (state). Matt Campbell has never beat Iowa. The Hawkeyes have won six straight in the Cy-Hawk Rivalry, which is the worst named rivalry in all of college football (come on, Iowa, I know you're boring, but come up with SOMETHING). Iowa gained only 173 total yards, but it didn't matter because Iowa State turned the ball over four times, including three Brock Purdy interceptions. The Cyclones' playoff hopes now rely on running the table, which will include beating Oklahoma twice. Good luck with that.

3) Good God Florida State.

3 and 23 might lose scholarships. Mike Norvell might lose his job. I mean, probably not, but I'm not sure how you recover from losing to Jacksonville State. Especially like that. Just awful. Of all the college football falls from grace from the 1990's, this one is the most stunning and the most complete.

4) There's only one Alabama. This doesn't have anything to do with the Tide rolling Mercer (SERIOUSLY? WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE?) This comes from Oregon's 35-28 win at Ohio State yesterday. CJ Verdell ran for 161 yards and three touchdowns and an Oregon defense that was missing its two best players walked into the Horseshoe with more than 100,000 fans and physically beat the Buckeyes up. Ohio State lost a TON to the NFL last year. No matter how many high-level recruits you have, it's not an automatic that you're just going to reload and be 13-0 every year and in the playoff. That only happens in Tuscaloosa.

5) Congratulations on winning, but I still don't believe in you. Texas A&M beat Colorado 10-7 and I'll take "the most overrated program in the country" for $800 Alex. They'll win a good number of games. I don't buy them as a playoff contender. Honorable mention here goes to Notre Dame, which hung on to beat Toledo 32-29. I think the Irish are fine. I don't think they're a national contender this year.

6) Oklahoma State is the worst 2-0 team in the country. They beat Missouri State 23-16 last week. They beat Tulsa 28-23 yesterday. The Cowboys should be like 1.5-0.5. It's hard to count that as a 2-0 start for me. They still might end up 9-3 because there's just not much in the Big 12 (they'll probably lose at Boise this weekend).

7) The team nobody's talking about that we might should talk about soon is Michigan State. I'm not going to put a ton of stock in a 42-14 win over Youngstown State. But Sparty beat up Northwestern last week. MSU has already matched its win total from last year in Mel Tucker's second season. They're at Miami next week (which isn't all that great). If they win that, they get Nebraska, Western Kentucky, Rutgers and Indiana and they could potentially be 7-0 headed into an in-state battle with the Wolverines. Just something to watch.

8) Speaking of Michigan, it beat Washington 31-10 yesterday and is it too late to bring Chris Peterson back out of retirement? The Huskies are 0-2 and they've scored 17 points. You'd think they could beat Arkansas State, but since they lost the season opener to Montana, I'm not sure anything's a gimmie at this point. Three ranked teams remain on the schedule and it's tough to really see Washington being able to make a bowl game this season.

9) Ohio State and Clemson have both lost a game, but both could get back in the playoff if they run the table. The door is open for a little bit of change this season, though. Is UCLA good enough out of the PAC-12? Can Oregon get in? If Oklahoma and Iowa State split two games (or either one loses another one) does a spot finally open up for Cincinnati or UCF? I don't care who makes it. I'd just like to see someone other than Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Clemson.

10) Five games I'll watch next week (other than Mizzou/SEMO, which I'm mad is happening and that I have to watch):

Nebraska at Oklahoma, 11 am, FOX
--It will be a terrible game. And I will enjoy it very much

Cincinnati at Indiana, 11 am, ESPN--Cincy should be favored, but I'm happy they're going on the road and playing it and happy Indiana is giving them a shot. They play Notre Dame later too. They'll probably be ranked about 6th this week. Why not?

Alabama at Florida, 2:30, CBS--It will not be close. But I'll watch.

Auburn at Penn State, 6:30, ABC--Auburn has hung 60 on nobodies in the first two weeks. Penn State is not nobody.

Tulane at Ole Miss, 7:00, ESPN2--It's not a great slate of games. Tulane almost won at Oklahoma. Ole Miss is pretty good and might be the second best team in the SEC West this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.