ADVERTISEMENT

****THE CHAMBER, 3/20****

brianaustin

Hall of Famer
Jun 18, 2001
Columbia, MO
FOOTBALL RECRUITING

-- 2016 Murrieta (Calif.) Mesa offensive tackle Nathan Smith confirmed with me last night that he will be visiting Mizzou on March 30. This is a big time opportunity for Mizzou and the coaches are well aware of that.

"I'm really excited about visiting Mizzou," said the 6-foot-7, 276 pound four-star. "They were the first major school to offer and I really like all the coaches. Looking forward to visiting."

Smith is the number 130 ranked prospect in the country, the number 24 ranked prospect in California and the number 11 ranked offensive tackle prospect in the country. Smith tweeted out this morning that he will also be visiting Nebraska, Kansas State, Illinois, Miami, Arizona State and Arizona on the trip.

When Mizzou offered I gave them nearly zero chance of landing Smith, but he seemed pretty sincere with that quote. He is already north of 20 offers and most of them are from good programs. Reality is Mizzou doesn't land four-star high schoolers from California very often.

-- 2016 Independence (Mo.) Fort Osage quarterback Skylar Thompson told me he has not scheduled any spring visit with Mizzou. In fact, he hasn't heard from the Tiger coaches since junior day. I asked him if they extended an invite at this point would he still visit and he said he didn't know. Said they just haven't shown much interest.

Then I asked him if it was to a point where they had fallen too far behind even if they started to show interest. Again, he said he didn't know at this point.

From what I am hearing Mizzou really likes Thompson and he is one of the top quarterbacks on their list of prospects. At this point, though, they don't know if they'll take a quarterback this year. It sounds like they won't know until after the spring game.

-- 2016 Wildwood (Mo.) Lafayette tight end Brendan Scales told me he hasn't really been in contact with Mizzou since junior day either. He said it didn't seem like they were that interested and he doesn't think they are recruiting him that much anymore.

I asked him if they started to show increased interest and he said yes. "They are a great program and close to home," Scales continued.

I think Scales may be running into the same problem as Thompson. Very talented player, but Mizzou is not sure if they'll take a tight end in this class. They won't be losing any after this season. Even if they do end up taking one I would guess it is not viewed as a priority right now.

-- In addition to Smith, 2016 Webb City (Mo.) offensive lineman Dylan Powell will be visiting Mizzou for a spring practice after spring break. This will be Powell's fourth unofficial visit to Mizzou and Castillo's third I believe.

BASKETBALL RECRUITING

-- At this point there are no official visits scheduled except what we told you about earlier this week. 2015 John A. Logan (Ill.) combo guard Russell Woods will officially visit Mizzou on March 30.

There is a chance 2015 Elev8 Academy (Fla.) shooting guard Kobie Eubanks will visit that weekend as well. Nothing at all on when 2015 Vincennes (Ind.) shooting guard Mychal Mulder or 2015 East Florida State (Fla.) center Kyle Meyer will visit at this point.

-- Hearing Mizzou has serious interest in North Carolina - Charlotte center Mike Thorne. The 6-foot-11, 270 pounder will be a fifth year transfer once he gets his release. When that happens, Mizzou will be one of the first schools to reach out to him.

-- All the Mizzou coaches will take the elevator ride down from their offices to watch both semifinals of the Missouri Class 5 tournament. Focus will be on supporting their signee Tyler Cook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.