ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ***THE CHAMBER: AUG. 26, 2016***

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
The Chamber is back with our final preseason edition. Camp wound down on Thursday evening, and that means Missouri is finally in full-on prep mode for West Virginia.

Because of that, we're handling this Chamber a little different. Both Gabe and Pete are trying to project the depth chart that will be (eventually) released. For this week, feel free to talk about the contents of the Chamber elsewhere.

Quarterback

Gabe's Guess: 1. Drew Lock // 2. Marvin Zanders
"Both are gonna play. I expect Lock to take the first series."

Pete's Guess: 1. Drew Lock OR 1. Marvin Zanders
"Yes, the easy way out. But Barry Odom has not announced a starter yet. I don't think that happens publicly next week, either. Call it gamesmanship or trolling, but I do think both guys will be on the field to start against West Virginia."

Running back

Gabe's Guess: 1. Alex Ross // 2. Damarea Crockett
"I think Ish Witter will be third and kind of a situational guy. Nate Strong likely fourth, probably see time in some of the lesser games and may work his way into more carries as the season goes along."

Pete's Guess: 1. Alex Ross // 2. Ish Witter
"Stop scoffing. I know Witter has a bad rap on here, but he's the most experienced guy in the backfield. I think he'll be listed at No. 2, but it doesn't really matter. The top three are Ross, Witter and Crockett, and that's the rotation that will get the bulk of work to start."

Receiver

Gabe's Guess: 1. (J'Mon Moore)(Chris Black)(Keyon Dilosa) 2. (Dominic Collins)(Dimetrios Mason)(Eric Laurent)
"I think Justin Smith and Ray Wingo will see some time, as will Emanuel Hall, if he's healthy. I'm really unsure about the third starter. I feel good on Moore and Black, but just don't know about that third spot. It could be virtually anyone...or two tight ends."

Pete's Guess: 1. (J'Mon Moore)(Chris Black)(Eric Laurent) 2. (Keyon Dilosa)(Dimetrios Mason)(Justin Smith)
"This is a shot in the dark. I feel good about Moore and Black being two of the starters; I think Laurent starts at the other outside spot but that is a one-in, one-out rotation, and Dilosa could very well be the starter there. I do feel like the rotation will go nine deep, adding Ray Wingo, Dominic Collins and a healthy Emanuel Hall to that next group."

Tight end

Gabe's Guess: 1. Sean Culkin // 2. Jason Reese
"Kendall Blanton will play here as well. They're going to use these guys a lot of different ways."

Pete's Guess: 1. Sean Culkin // 2. Jason Reese
"Not sure the depth chart matters here. Culkin, Reese and Blanton are going to be a three-man show all year and all will play extensively.

Offensive line

Gabe's Guess: 1. (LT Tyler Howell)(LG Kevin Pendleton)(C Samson Bailey)(RG Alec Abeln)(RT Paul Adams) // Next 5, regardless of position: Trystan Castillo, Kyle Mitchell, Michael Stannard, Tre'Vour Simms, AJ Harris
"I think the Tigers will experiment with nine guys for as long as it takes to identify the five to eight who can play regularly."

Pete's Guess: 1. (LT Tyler Howell)(LG Kevin Pendleton)(C Samson Bailey)(RG Alec Abeln)(RT Paul Adams) // Next 5, regardless of position: Trystan Castillo, Kyle Mitchell, Michael Stannard, Tre'Vour Simms, Adam Ploudre
"I think I have a good feel for the starting five. I do not have a good feel for the next five. Believe Mitchell, Stannard and Simms are the next three. I have Adam Ploudre instead of AJ Harris because Harris has been dealing with that cast on his hand, which might limit his ability to snap and back-up Bailey. At this point, if there's an issue at center, I think Abeln moves back there and Ploudre comes in at right guard."

Defensive End

Gabe's Guess: 1. (Charles Harris/ Spencer Williams) // 2. (Marcell Frazier/ Jordan Harold)
"Any of the latter three could take the first snap. I'm going with Williams based on nothing more than a gut feeling. The fifth guy is either Tre Williams or Nate Howard. My guess is they preserve Williams' redshirt and play Howard if they need a fifth."

Pete's Guess: 1. (Charles Harris/ Jordan Harold) // 2. (Spencer Williams/ Marcell Frazier)
"I think Harold gets the nod at left defensive end, but it's going to be a big rotation there with Williams and Frazier that could change week-to-week. I also think Nate Howard and Tre Williams are the next two guys (clearly) and they will burn Williams' redshirt because, beyond Harris, no one else is proven at end."

Defensive Tackle/Nose Guard

Gabe's Guess: 1. (Rickey Hatley, Terry Beckner) // 2. (AJ Logan, Josh Augusta)
"Logan has been running with the ones a lot in camp, but I think Beckner has that spot. These four will all play. If they need a fifth, look for Markell Utsey to shed the redshirt."

Pete's Guess: 1. (Rickey Hatley, AJ Logan) // 2. (Terry Beckner, Josh Augusta)
"Don't get me wrong, Terry Beckner will be the best interior guy by season's end, but they love Hatley's leadership, experience and improvement, so he gets the nod at defensive tackle. So why wouldn't Beckner start above Logan? In the past, DT and NG were more interchangeable in Missouri's defense. I don't think that's true anymore. Logan and Augusta are true nose guards in this system and that's why Beckner isn't a starter (at first, anyway)."

Linebacker

Gabe's Guess: 1. (SAM -- Donavin Newsom, MIKE -- Michael Scherer, WILL -- Joey Burkett) // 2. (Terez Hall, Cale Garrett, Brandon Lee)
"I think five play here and Hall and Garrett are the two second stringers that will see meaningful time. I think Lee is in more in mop-up time."

Pete's Guess: 1. (SAM -- Donavin Newsom, MIKE -- Michael Scherer, WILL -- Joey Burkett) // 2. (Terez Hall, Cale Garrett, Brandon Lee)
"This is the easiest position on defense to predict. Not much drama here."

Cornerback

Gabe's Guess: 1. Aarion Penton, John Gibson // 2. Logan Cheadle, Christian Holmes
"This is assuming TJ Warren isn't healthy. If Warren is healthy, he could very well start and Gibson could slide to second string. I think those are the top five guys, though."

Pete's Guess: 1. Aarion Penton, John Gibson // 2. Logan Cheadle, TJ Warren
"I think Warren is back healthy, but he probably missed too much time to be a starter. Those are the top four. Christian Holmes will see some work but mainly on special teams. Have not heard any mention of Anthony Hines and little of Finis Stribling."

Safety

Gabe's Guess: 1. Anthony Sherrils, Thomas Wilson // 2. Cam Hilton, Ronnell Perkins
"Greg Taylor and DeMarkus Acy could figure in here. The Tigers really have a lot of options. The guys that don't necessarily get a lot of time at safety can help on special teams. I do expect Acy to play this year."

Pete's Guess: 1. Anthony Sherrils, Thomas Wilson // 2. Cam Hilton, Ronnell Perkins
"Feel very good about the top guys, unsure of the next two. Sherrils, I believe, is at strong side; Hilton is also at strong. I think Acy and Taylor play mainly on special teams this year, barring injury."

Punter

Gabe and Pete's Guess: 1. Corey Fatony
No need for explanation here.

Kicker

Gabe's Guess: 1. Tucker McCann // 2. Turner Adams
"McCann is the guy here, I think he handles place kicks and kickoffs. They've said it's a battle, but I expect the scholarship guy to get the benefit of the doubt."

Pete's Guess: 1. Tucker McCann // 2. Turner Adams
"It would be a massive disappointment if McCann is not the starter."

Kick Returner

Gabe's Guess: 1. Alex Ross // 2. Johnathon Johnson
"Complete guesses here to be honest."

Pete's Guess: 1. Alex Ross // 2. Dimetrios Mason
"I don't think they'll start off with Mason deep, but I think they want him to handle duties sooner rather than later. No insult to Ross at all -- but they probably want to limit his exposure to injury if he's the No. 1 running back."

Punt Returner

Gabe's Guess: 1. Aarion Penton // 2. Dimetrios Mason
"I think Penton's the guy at the start of the year, but Mason will get some chances."

Pete's Guess: 1. Chris Black // 2. Dimetrios Mason
"My same reasoning for kick returner. If they aren't redshirting Mason, returns have to be in mind because he may not be well-rounded enough at receiver to see a ton of snaps there, especially early on."

Reactions: BWOODY and lwv
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.