ADVERTISEMENT

*****THE CHAMBER: AUGUST 28TH*****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We're going to start the Chamber this week where we've spent most of our time in the last month?football practice. I want to stress that I don't have an updated depth chart and the following are PURELY my opinions based on what I've seen over the last few weeks:

I want to start with my opinions on who won out at a few position battles that I thought were going to be worth watching:

Kicker: I've been pretty up front that this is the area that I have the most questions about as the season starts. I've seen little to tell me I can look away and do other things on any kick, even extra points. Perhaps one of the guys will emerge like Scotty Knickman, Mike Matheny or Jeff Wolfert and be a lot better than I expect. At this point, it would surprise me.

After the first scrimmage, Grant Ressel was listed atop the depth chart. I haven't seen anything that makes me think it will change. Ressel has been fine. Not exceptional, but not terrible. I just haven't seen anything out of Tanner Mills or Trey Barrow to make me think they've clearly overtaken Ressel. Mills has the best leg, but he's not the most accurate. I think Ressel starts the Illinois game, but don't rule out the possibility that two, or even three, guys could kick by the end of the year.

Backup Quarterback: Jimmy Costello, in my opinion, left the door open. But I'm not sure Blaine Dalton did enough to walk through it. Honestly, I didn't see anything out of either guy in the last couple of weeks of camp that blew me away.

It's my gut Costello holds on to the spot. If it were me making the decision, I think I'd go Dalton. There are a couple reasons: Dalton is just a true freshman. I think he has a lot more room to get better. With Costello, I think you're seeing a guy that pretty much is what he is going to be. That may be a little better than Dalton right now, but with Dalton, you have the potential of more upside if he gets some experience under his belt.

Bottom line, though, Blaine Gabbert needs to be healthy. If he's not, in my opinion, a bowl game will be a hard battle.

Safety: I honestly thought Hardy Ricks had a pretty good camp. I think he holds on to the starting job at least through the Illinois game. But with more experience, Jasper Simmons will continue to make a push and could have the job by the Big 12 season.

Defensive Tackle: This is one that's too close to call for me between Terrell Resonno and Dominique Hamilton. I think they'll probably split reps pretty evenly. I saw a little more out of Hamilton in fall camp than Resonno, but I don't have the benefit of watching every single snap live and on film, so I may have simply caught Hamilton at more opportune times than Resonno.

Cornerback: There's a crowd here, but Kevin Rutland looked like the best to me through spring and fall. Carl Gettis should hold on to the other starting job. Of the four other corners who will see action, I think Robert Steeples had the best camp and has the best chance to unseat a starter.

To me, everything else is pretty settled. I don't see another job that could change hands before the first game.

Now, on to the freshmen who will play this season.

We already have confirmation that Kendial Lawrence and Simmons will see the field. Jarrell Harrison will too, but with the dislocated elbow yesterday, it is going to be delayed a few weeks. Pinkel said Jack Meiners would play, then said it would be at least one of Meiners and Justin Britt. I think Meiners plays and Britt does not.

The most interesting duo here are two receivers. In my view, L'Damian Washington has done enough to burn the shirt. He's consistently caught the ball and made plays in fall camp. I think he's a guy that sees the field. I don't know how many chances he'll get, but over and over the Tigers have played a freshman receiver to ready him for next season. With Danario Alexander and Jared Perry graduating after this season, I think you play Washington and get him ready to take over Danario's starting spot next year. The other one is T.J. Moe. Moe told me yesterday he still wasn't all the way back health-wise. If he was JUST a receiver, I don't even think it's a consideration to play him. But he can return kicks, he can line up at quarterback, he can run the ball on designed plays like Jeremy Maclin did. He can just do so much for you that I think the coaches would really like to get him on the field. It will be interesting to see if it happens. And I wonder if the backup quarterback situation doesn't play into this. I'm not saying Moe would be the backup quarterback, but the fact is, if you're not completely comfortable with the No. 2 guy, Moe gives you a few more options and a few different available looks as a guy you could throw in there for a few snaps.

I'm going to finish my part of this with a couple of recruiting notes:

Some would say that Curtis Carter seemed to be a Nebraska lock. He has them in the lead, but I think Missouri is making a strong push here. Carter had a long talk with Pinkel earlier this week. If the Tigers can get him on campus (maybe for that game against the Huskers???? Seems like it would be good timing), then I think they've got a real shot.

The big guy out there right now is Marcus Lucas. The Tigers would love to get him sooner rather than later. I don't have a good feel for whether it's going to happen. To be honest, I thought Lucas would be a Tiger by the time he played his first game, but considering that happens in about 10 hours, it's not too likely at this point. I do, though, think he's a Tiger. I talked to Jeremy Crabtree and he thinks the Tigers are in the lead as well at this point. I know Mizzou fans would breathe much easier if the Tigers had Lucas before he got to Norman for an official visit, but I just can't tell you if it's going to happen or not.

Nothing on hoops recruiting this week, but I'll be touching base with all the major targets in the next week and should have some info in next week's Chamber. A lot of guys are starting to schedule official visits and hopefully we'll have some dates for you soon.

Pete has helped out a lot with camp, but has kept his ear on the recruiting trail as well. Here are a few notes he's picked up:

There isn't a whole lot new to report, recruiting wise. We all know the big names left on the board, and Lucas and Kony Ealy don't seem to be in any hurry to make a decision.

I was finally able to reach Oklahoma DT Dominique Jones. He confirmed what the K-State site said earlier this week... his top two consists of Kansas State and Missouri. He's hoping to take a visit to Missouri by the end of September, and wants to make a decision before the end of his season. He said it will come down to the Wildcats and Tigers.

"My coach went to Missouri," Jones said. "He's always talking about what a great experience it was there, and what a great atmosphere. I'm very interested in seeing it for myself."

His coach is Steve Huff. I'm not sure if he played at Missouri, or just attended school here, but I hope to know more as soon as I can talk to some more sources.

Also, Missouri was originally recruiting Slidell (LA) OL Alex Hill as a center. I talked to him on Thursday to see if the Tigers show any interest in him as a defensive tackle.

"No, sir," he said. "All they've mentioned is center."

Now, things can change, obviously, but he's said Missouri is still in frequent contact with him and wants him on offense. It looks like, although Jacob Jenkins was recruited as a center, Missouri is very interested in building depth on the offensive line. The interest is very mutual, Hill said.

"They're in my top five, more like my top three, really," Hill said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News