ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ***THE CHAMBER: JULY 1, 2016***

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
The Chamber is back again to recap a (somewhat) quiet week on the Missouri sports front -- with the exception of the hiring of new baseball coach Steve Biesler.

That's where we'll start, and we'll hand the reigns to publisher Gabe DeArmond for his thoughts on Biesler's announcement.

From Gabe:

I can tell you that Steve Bieser's hire was a big surprise to the people I spoke to throughout the process (who told me pretty much unanimously that Bieser was a candidate, but the feeling was he didn't have a real shot at the job). It doesn't mean he won't be a good hire, just that it surprised the people I spoke to.

I feel comfortable saying the first choice was Oklahoma State pitching coach Rob Walton (at least after Todd Whitting from Houston said no, which happened very early in the process). The search went on until the Pokes were done playing, which is a pretty good indication. I had information that Walton did interview with Missouri. One source told me (and someone else posted on the board) that he turned down the job. I believe that information to be accurate.

I know Tony Vitello interviewed as well. I spoke to multiple people who know Vitello well early in the process and they told me he would absolutely take the job. However, three sources told me after the process was over that Vitello felt he got a "courtesy" interview but was never truly a legitimate candidate. Whether it's true or not, I can't say. Just relaying what people who are familiar with him told me.I am definitely comfortable saying with Vitello's hire there would have been increased financial support for the program from multiple Major League players that played at Mizzou. That may be true with Beiser too, I don't know. I only know that it was certainly there if Vitello had been hired.

I've got to believe Mack Rhoades had very good reasons for hiring Bieser over Vitello. Maybe he knows the money is there anyway. Maybe he just thinks he's a much better coach regardless of the money that may or not be there. Don't really know. And I don't want this coming off as me saying that Bieser can't do well here. Of course he can. It's just surprising to many who were following this process that he's the guy. I think those who already want to think Rhoades is doing a poor job will use this as more ammunition (maybe it's fair, maybe it's not, it's certainly too early to know for sure, but it will be used) to back up their beliefs. Bieser may be a great hire. He certainly wasn't the easy hire. Will be intriguing to see where it goes.

Let's move onto football recruiting for a bit. We're in the middle of a dead period, which started on June 27 and lasts until July 10. So, Missouri's staff hasn't been able to host any recruits or have face-to-face contact since Monday -- which would be a good reason for things to be a bit quiet right now.

Earlier this week, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity offensive lineman Larry Boyd announced his top eight on Twitter. He listed the schools in this order: Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas State, Minnesota, Arkansas, Iowa State, Illinois and Wisconsin. In his post, Boyd said the schools were in no order, and he reitereated that to me later in an interview.

However, after talking to some people, there is SOME order to the list. It's the two schools at the top -- OSU and Missouri -- and then everyone else. The belief is that Missouri is still in the lead, but Boyd is very much intrigued by the Cowboys, too. It makes sense, as those are the only two schools he's visited so far.

Boyd also said he doesn't anticipate making a decision until National Signing Day. However, from those I spoke to, this would still be a HUGE surprise, as just about everyone is anticipating him making a decision before his senior season. Things can obviously change, but those who know him say Boyd does not like the spotlight and will want to get this over as quickly as possible -- they are still surprised Boyd has not committed to Missouri, in fact.

If this does end by the start of the season, Missouri should still be considered the clear favorite. If not, well -- the longer this goes, the more Oklahoma State (and other schools) have a chance to get in the door.

This leads me to a time when -- possibly -- Boyd COULD commit to Missouri, if he chooses. Missouri's staff is planning "Night at the Zou," an elite camp the night of July 23rd at Faurot Field. From what I've been told by recruits, the camp will list from 6 to 10 pm. Other sources have told me that fans WILL be allowed to attend the event, much like other schools do. Marketing for this event has to be more grassroots, per NCAA restrictions, but again, fans will be allowed into the stadium to watch.

So far, these are the players who said they are (or are trying to) attend:

-- Marquis Hayes

-- Larry Boyd

-- Da'Ron Davis

-- Jafar Armstrong

-- Trevor Trout

-- Ronnie Perkins

-- Tony Adams

-- Larry Borom

-- Robert Hudson

Invitations are going out, and the list will change as the date gets closer. Missouri is definitely trying to make more of a splash with recruits this year, and we'll see how their first foray into a true 'Under the Lights' red-carpet event pans out.

In case you missed it this week, two more recruits listed Missouri among their top schools.

On Thursday, Dallas (Texas) ATH Devodrick Johnson put Missouri in his top-10:

On Tuesday, Memphis (Tenn.) LB Aubrey Miller put Missouri in his top-5 (according to his tweet) or top-6 (according to the graphic associated with the tweet):

We're trying to get more from each player at this time. We're also still trying to get in touch with four-star Tennessee running back Chase Hayden after his visit a few weeks ago, but unfortunately have not had luck in that department yet.

We'll finish up with some basketball recruiting...

Let’s talk about Jeremiah Tilmon. Earlier this week Tilmon announced a final six that included Missouri in it. At the time we had said that we heard he’s going to be a qualifying issue. Some on the board said they heard different but after talking to multiple sources on the matter it appears Tilmon will be a close call.

How close? One source said from what they know, Timon’s situation isn’t the worst they’ve seen and went on to say they think he qualifies if they had to bet on it. But that’s easy to say a year out from when he’ll set foot on campus. A lot can happen between now and then. We’ll continue to monitor the situation as long as he’s considering Missouri.

Speaking of that, a source in the know told us it will likely come down to Illinois or Missouri for the five-star prospect. Tilmon's family wants him to stay close for college and those two schools are really the only close options for him on his list. Tilmon recently had shoulder surgery and isn’t much of a talker so it remains to be seen if he’ll make an appearance at a camp we’re at or answers the phone. We are trying to get in touch with him.

Missouri will likely be at the Peach Jam, which is the Nike EYBL finals. Michael Porter’s MoKan team could very well win it all but they don’t enter as the favorite. Once we get some names of who the staff plans on watching we’ll post it.

Through the grapevine...

-- Heard from a source that 5-star JUCO OL Charles Baldwin, who was dismissed from Alabama after enrolling in January, has interest in Missouri. I don't think it's likely (or maybe even possible) because of the SEC's new rules against accepting transfers with disciplinary issue, along with the fact that he was dismissed from an SEC school, but it's certainly something to watch. Unless there's some sort of waiver, Baldwin would also have to sit out a year, and he's already a junior. Either way, just an interesting tidbit I heard this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rtsitzes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News