ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: Mississippi St, v2.0

StuBlack

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
*The Good:

For all concerned, there's almost certainly only one more of these (games AND my write-ups) to go in this Bataan Death March of a season.

Moving on.

*The Bad:

*Really, all of it. Every single bit. I'll to ball security in a second, but this team is as bad as I've ever witnessed at the high D-1 level on the offensive end. They don't execute, and even more troublingly, they don't seem to even have a plan. Their philosophy continues to appear to be to hope that bad shots go in on offense, and that wide open shots on defense do not. Without a single player breaking out with a career game (Shamburger last time, Wright vs. Florida), they seemingly have no shot at winning games...and even those games go to the wire. That, kids, is the hallmark of a bad team.

*The Ugly:

*I honestly lost count, but I think the magic number was six for each of these categories:

*Passes to no one at all that immediately go out of bounds, with at least 4 of those coming with the tide of the game seemingly turning...a couple when Missouri had gotten the deficit down to 4.

*Entry passes that were given to Ryan Rosburg that ended in either a turnover or a blocked shot.

*Missouri scored on consecutive possessions on the first two of the game. They would not do so again until approximately 2:45 remained in the game. You cannot win when the offense is that poor. Just can't.

*Epilogue:

Look, I know I said I was going to try to go only positive for the duration of the season. As you can see, I'm having a great deal of trouble living up to my end of that bargain. I now firmly believe that this team NEEDS to get to spring break so real decisions (by the players and by the staff) can be made about the future. Another bludgeoning isn't going to teach this group something it doesn't already know. Heck, if learning that lesson could translate into academics, they'd each have multiple doctorates by now.

No, the staff needs to be recruiting full-time, and that includes kids currently on the roster. And you know, they might even be recruiting a new assistant coach (preemptive answer: no, I don't know anything for sure. Don't ask.) I, like most here, am keenly interested in how the roster is composed next year, and that work really takes precedence now.

If nothing else, I think this fanbase needs to take a knee from this season, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News