ADVERTISEMENT

The more people I talk to (another realignment post)

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
the more I think Texas and OU to the SEC is the first step. I think we're going to see alliances and a separation of the major conferences from everyone else. Was talking to a colleague tonight who has heard some similar things about the possibilities. Think about this:

Maybe you have the equivalent of two 32-team leagues. In each "league" you have two "divisions" (the SEC is one division, they join up with another league, say the ACC, that's the other division. Then you have the PAC12/Big 10 as the two divisions in the other league). In each division, you have four four team pods. You play the three teams in your pod, you play 4-5 games against other teams in your division (SEC games) then you play 3-4 against the other division.

Every game is a Power Five game. Ticket sales are through the roof because there are no games you don't care about. Think about this schedule:

Oklahoma (in your pod)
Arkansas (in your pod)
Texas (in your pod)
Ole Miss (conference game)
Florida (conference game)
Kentucky (conference game)
Auburn (conference game)
South Carolina (conference game)
Georgia Tech (crossover game)
Miami (crossover game)
Virginia (crossover game)
NC State (crossover game)

At the end of the 12-game season, each pod has a champion.

Pod 1 vs Pod 2
Pod 3 vs Pod 4

Winners play for the conference title. Winner of that game plays the winner of the other league. Totals 15 games. Then, just maybe, if you have the other 32 team league, the winner of this league plays the winner of that league in the college football championship game.

It adds exactly one game to the schedule for two teams. Nobody plays more than 16 (you could even go to an 11 game regular season if you want to). EVERY SINGLE GAME is must see. I mean, is there a single game on that schedule you wouldn't want to go to? You're only going to have 16 games every week (32 teams) so they're all televised somewhere.

Basically, it's a mini-NFL model. Some would hate it and say that's not college football. But the more I think about it, the more fun it sounds.

And, sure, this is all hypothetical. I don't know if any of this will happen. But I don't think Texas and OU joining the SEC is the end of this. Not at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News