GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Other post got too long

UPDATED at 6:02

There's that. I checked with a Mizzou source close to the situation: "Never talked to him so it would be hard to turn it down."

Now, I don't believe he turned down the job. But I also don't really believe Mizzou never talked to him. Technicalities are used all the time in coaching searches. Maybe there hasn't been a formal interview. Maybe there haven't been face to face conversations. Maybe nobody from Mizzou has spoken directly to Will Healy at this time. But I do believe there's interest because I've heard that and there's enough smoke that I think there's at least interest.

Here's my theory: Healy is a Jimmy Sexton client. If Mizzou is interested in Healy, Sexton needs something to play against them to drive up the price. 20 minutes before that tweet, I got a text from a colleague: "Hear Sexton is trying to leverage Healy to Ole Miss to drive up the price." Right now, Healy doesn't have another option that allows him to drive a hard bargain with Mizzou. If they can turn Ole Miss into an option, even if he doesn't get the job, it helps them. That's what I think is happening.

Another significant note: I'm told by someone I trust that Arkansas State's Blake Anderson is on the docket of interviews for Missouri. I have a source in Jonesboro that knows Anderson relatively well. He said Anderson has been in Atlanta recruiting this week. Missouri's interviews are being done in Atlanta. I'm also told that this is strongly viewed as a year Anderson will leave Arkansas State. His wife passed away over the summer. The opinion down there is that this is the time for Anderson to make a break with his family after a really tough time in their lives and start somewhere new. Therefore, I think Anderson is in play for Missouri at this time. I'll dive into his resume more in tomorrow morning's post.

Last thing, someone told me today Jim Sterk likes Jim McElwain quite a bit. McElwain is another Sexton client. I don't really have any more than that at this time on him, but as I posted earlier, I believe he has or will interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.