ADVERTISEMENT

What if... part 2

MUValjean

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2011
???
(I shared this on the other site today and thought I would cross post here.. lets see how many people I can get to call me stupid this time... :) )

So here is another thought-exercise since my last attempt (when I made an argument that we could end up 6-6) went so well. What if... Mizzou isn't as bad as we think?

Mizzou is one of 7 teams in the SEC with 1 loss or less. And most of those other teams still have to play one another. The reality is that of those 7, there is a good likelihood that none escapes with less than 2 losses. (see below) And Mizzou is solidly in the hunt with one of the easier schedules of the 7 top teams.

Now for the fun part. Going into aTm we were pretty down on the wins that Mizzou had... none were convincing except Murray State & Buffalo... but, Buffalo is atop the MAC with some good wins. Vandy is turning heads. And BC is a solid 4-2. As @GabeD said a few times, the aTm game shocked us all, and the UMass game was what it should have been and I don't think any of us "feel better" because of it. With the feeling that maybe we are not that good being confirmed at aTm, it is natural that we are pretty down on the team. And to be sure, there are some glaring issues. But, what if aTm really IS THAT GOOD? They have some of the best talent money can buy and now they have a real coach... maybe they are turning it around like most of us were afraid they would. Maybe Mizzou went in thinking it should be an easier game... and aTm decided to curbstomp them. Let's face it, Drink was outcoaced that day. The players were shell shocked by the 2nd series. aTm seemed to be on another level and everything was working for them. Nothing was going right for Mizzou and this was the first adversity they had experienced all year... maybe since the KSU or Florida games last year! They responded like crap, and that is what we labeled them...

But maybe they are not... maybe it was a case of aTm realizing who they are on a day Mizzou came in not ready to play? Sure, that says a lot about the team and the coaches... but THAT is recoverable. That COULD be the best thing to happen to this team.

Sure, I am down on the O-Line, and Luther (I know, I know) and the defense is painful to watch at times... but if they can win this weekend against Auburn, then play well at Bama... the rest of the schedule is doable (watch out for USCe). If Mizzou can get out at 10-2, there is a very real possibility we could be in the running for going to Atlanta.

Sure, this What if is just as extreme as my 6-6 What if..... but you all thought I was crazy when I posted that before the aTm game. While I am still really cautious about embracing hope (though I would if SEC Shorts Hope showed up)... I can see the possibility that things are not as bad as they seem, that Mizzou could end up in the playoffs, and possibly in the SEC Championship game. As before, my prediction is closer to 8-4... but 10-2 and 6-6 are not out of the running. And now I will brace for the bevy of inevitable down votes...

Thoughts?

user generated
teXas: Georgia, Vandy, aTm
aTm: LSU, USCe, teXas
LSU: aTm, Bama, Vandy
Georgia: teXas, Ole Miss, Tennessee
Bama: Tennessee, Missouri, LSU
Tennessee: Bama, UGA, Vandy
Mizzou: Bama, USCe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.