ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What is it going to take to host a playoff game?

jamieparedes

Letterman
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
Most may already have thought about this, but I haven't seen much discussion about specific teams and where they might be seeded.

We know the first four seeds will be the champs of the P4 conferences and get byes. The fifth seed will likely be ND, as they don’t have a difficult schedule, and they agreed to this format with the understanding they’ll mostly be assured of hosting a game. The other near lock is that the G5 highest ranked champ will likely be the 12th seed.

There’s a decent chance the remaining six at-larges will come from the SEC & Big Ten. Are they going to have seeds six and seven both be from either the SEC or Big Ten? Doubtful. It’s more likely they will be seeded SEC/Big Ten or Big Ten/SEC. Either way, you’re looking at needing to be seeded at least sixth, seventh, or eighth to host a game. That eighth seed will most likely go to the next best SEC or Big Ten team.

I could be missing something, but if all that makes sense and plays-out, we’d need to be at least the third best/highest ranked SEC team AND be better/higher ranked than the third best Big Ten team. That third best Big Ten team is likely going to be a Michigan or Penn State (OSU and Oregon being the top two in the Big Ten). If, as most are saying, UGA and Texas are the top two in the SEC, the Bama game could way bigger than I originally thought. We’d need some help with Tennessee and Ole Miss as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News