WOMENS HOOPS PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Previewing tomorrow vs Texas

COACH PINGETON: Just really excited about obviously being here today. I think we're still awfully excited about our game last night.

You know, I thought we played really well, and I thought -- I think Sophie said it the best. We got back to playing Mizzou basketball. And that's what we had seen out of our team for quite a bit throughout the season, and then we hit some speed bumps there at the end that were a little bit challenging.

But had, what we talked about just last night, a great break, came back refreshed, rejuvenated. I think our team is in a really good place and beat a really good BYU team last night.

Looking forward to the opportunity to play Texas tomorrow. Got a lot of respect for Karen and the program here at Texas, and we know it's going to be an awfully challenging task, but we're excited about making that second round of the NCAA Tournament, and we're excited about the opportunity.

Q. BYU, they were worried going that game about the physical matchups and the physical style of play. How do you think your physical style of play is going to translate with Texas?
SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM: Yeah, we haven't watched scout on them yet, but seeing them play yesterday, they have some big girls. Their guards are a little smaller, so might take some advantage over that, but haven't watched them yet, so don't really know yet.

Q. Sophie, when you have a size advantage at the guard position, what does that allow you to do if you have that size advantage at a particular position?
SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM: Yeah, I mean, post up on the block, and either get to the rim or if they give me the ball, everyone is going to collapse on me and I'm going to give it out to my shooters or pass to the other posts. Those are my options.

Q. Sophie, you twisted your ankle and stayed in the game, but how does it feel a day later and how does it feel today?
SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM: Feeling great. No, it's good. I'll be all right.

Q. Jordan, three losses in a row to end the season. What was the difference yesterday and what happened over those 18 days that led to yesterday?
JORDAN FRERICKS: Well, like coach said, we had a nice little break after those three games, and we were able to regroup, and it's nice -- mentally, physically, to regroup.

We came back really anxious and had like five great, great practices, and it was awesome just to see how our team was all working together, and we are all anxious to come play this game with BYU. We just had all the pieces together.

Really, like Coach said, Mizzou is back and we are really excited and it's just a good team collectiveness right now.

Q. How big of a lift was it that Juanita gave you guys yesterday?
JORDAN FRERICKS: Yeah, she had an awesome game. She stepped up and did a great job. She knocked down shots. She got to the rim and nailed her free throws. She had a great game.

Q. With the length of Texas, just kind of look at their roster, they have a lot of long players. Does it help that you face teams like that in the SEC maybe a little less, I guess you're a little bit more familiar with that -- does that help at all?
JORDAN FRERICKS: Yeah, definitely, we played Mississippi State, Texas A&M, and they have all got big girls. I think that's a good advantage to us to be able to play those teams early and know what it's going to be like for Texas.

I think we're ready and size isn't something that's going to hurt us.

Q. Sophie, do you treat this kind of like an away game almost, because they are going to have home-court advantage tomorrow night.
SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM: Yeah, I do think that. But then again, I thought we brought a pretty good crowd considering we are in Texas. Our bench is going to have to be crazy, because they are at home, so we are going to have to provide our own energy.

Q. One of you mentioned the SEC, Texas A&M, I think Mississippi State, is their brand of basketball more physical? Because the BYU coach talked about that at length last night. Does that get you ready for anything like this?
JORDAN FRERICKS: Well, I think just SEC in general is a pretty aggressive conference, and I think just playing in that conference gets us ready and allows us to play aggressive, as well.

Q. Anything stand out to you about Texas in particular as you watch them play in their game last night?
JORDAN FRERICKS: Well, we haven't really watched a lot of film, but from last night, I mean, they are all very talented, athletic kids. It's going to be a great match up and a good challenge, and we're excited. But haven't watched a lot of if I will many yet, so can't say a whole lot.

Q. You went up against a pretty good rebounder last night and Texas has one of their own in Boyette. How do you feel about those match-ups? Rebounding is something you've always done well, when you're going to go up against a really elite rebounder.
JORDAN FRERICKS: It's always exciting for me just to have that challenge and I think as a team, too, one of our goals was to out-rebound BYU by ten, and I think that's going to be one of our goals for Texas, too. I mean, rebounding is a big key in the game, so we're excited for that challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.