ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't this actually be an interesting Presidential debate instead of what we have been getting?

tkbmu

Retired Number
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2007
Here's an interesting summary and the actual paper around one potential proposal to fix our debt and deficit issue in a way that neither side would like which means it probably is pretty good. The summary is nice, however the actual paper breaks down generic proposals currently used by both sides and why they aren't genuine solutions. I'd love to actually see our candidates have to debate this proposal and where they disagreed with it provide alternatives for how they'd achieve "fiscal responsibility".

Three things I'd propose to adjust:

1. I would remove preferential treatment for long term capital gains. Any increased revenue from this I would use to offset the proposed increase in the % for top income bracket

2. Rather than having one retirement age for Social Security / Medicare - I would start to differentiate the eligibility age by income level. The purpose would be to ensure those that are more likely to have a physically demanding work history have a sooner government sponsored retirement age than someone like me who's posting on a message board on company time.

3. I'd love to find a way to more specifically target the baby boomers for some financial pain as it relates to Social Security / Medicare. They've known this problem was coming for 40 years now and could have made very small adjustments to protect the economy for their eventual retirement. Instead they always chose themselves and kicked the can down to their kids. I'd love to kick it back a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News