ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL You Know What? I'm Still Excited About This Team.

HARP3R

Hall of Famer
May 31, 2011
Yes, this year hasn't been much fun to watch. In fact, watching this depleted offense plod along and give away just about every big play has been mind-numbing. But, you know what? They're insanely young and inexperienced. If anyone expected these guys to come in and hang 50 on everyone -- or even mid-30s -- I'd ask for what you're smoking. The starting QB is, well, rough. The OL is playing because they're "experienced", and the Tigers' AA-caliber center is playing on one leg, along with an NFL OG playing an out-of-position LT. The WRs, at least the ones who are still standing, are largely SO or younger and have been inconsistent, to put it mildly.

The defense, though young, has been pretty solid. Guess what? They're going to be loaded and have a year of Barry Odom tutelage under their belts.

Though I'm not seeing a 3-peat or 10-win season in 2015's horizon, I can see the big picture, which begins with Drew Lock. He's a part of a rough situation right now, but he's getting experience. He'll be ready to take the reigns of a special run next year.

After Drew, the offense will return starters J'Mon Moore and Nate Brown. They've been inconsistent this year, yes, but so was Sean Culkin last year, who's turned into one of the more sure-handed targets in 2015. Both guys are big play receivers and I've seen plenty of positives in both to continue to build upon. After them, the WR position brings back four current RS FR, who've shown positives, in DeSean Blair, Keyon Dilosa, Thomas Richard and Raymond Wingo. But, that's not it. The position will gain two players who, as TR FR, exploded onto the scene in the scrimmages in Justin Smith and Johnathon Johnson. Remember DGB (6'6"), Marcus Lucas (6'5") and LDW (6'5")? How does Justin Smith (6'7"), Nate Brown (6'3"), J'Mon Moore (6'3"), Emmanuel Hall (6'3"), Keyon Dilosa (6'3") and DeSean Blair (6'3") sound? Pretty damn good, yeah? Throw in a plethora of smaller, shiftier playmakers in Johnson, Wingo and Richard, and I think we're talking about an ELECTRIC unit. Absolutely electric.

That's not all. Let's shift to RB, shall we? The Tigers lose Russell Hansbrough, who has big shoes to fill, but when you consider Natereace Strong, Marquise Doherty, Chase Abbington, Trevon Walters, Ryan Williams and Darius Anderson (current commit) are waiting in the wings, the position sure sounds like it'll be more than alright.

However, we all know it all starts up front with the OL. The Tigers lose their leader and heart of the OL in C, Evan Boehm, as well as Connor McGovern, but bring back A TON of more experienced youth, which I think will return to being a reliable cog in the offensive wheel. AJ Harris, Paul Adams, Alec Abeln, Clay Rhodes, Kevin Pendleton, Malik Cuellar, Tanner Owen, Michael Fairchild, Andy Bauer, Nate Crawford and Sam Bailey is a group I honestly believe will be more than just alright. IMO, Gary Pinkel relies on experience more than anything with the OL, and I'm not sure the "best 5" have been run out there the first 4 weeks of 2015. Perhaps one of the three current commits -- Mackenzie Nworah, Tristan Castillo, Royce Newman -- surprises everyone and sheds the shirt in 2016.

TE loses just one from what's been a somewhat pleasantly surprising position in Clayton Echard. I expect Sean Culkin, Jason Reese and Kendall Blanton to show out in 2016 with Drew Lock.

On the defensive side of the ball, we're looking at a DL that consists of: Terry Beckner Jr, Charles Harris, Nate Howard, Walter Brady, Josh Augusta, Marcell Frazier, Josh Moore, Rickey Hatley, among others. Oh, a guy named Harold Brantley should be back, too. 4* DE commit Tre Williams gets added to the fold, as well.

LB loses Brothers, which is a loss, but returns 2/3 starters in Scherer and Newsom. After those 2, you've got Terez Hall, Brandon Lee, Franklin Agbasimere, Joey Burkett, Eric Beisel, Rod Winters and Grant Jones vying for the 2-deep and 3rd starting position. Tobias Little could potentially skip the shirt.

DB: Kenya Dennis graduates. Aarion Penton COULD leave early, but I'm thinking he'll be back for his final year of eligibility in the Black and Gold. After those two, Logan Cheadle, Tavon Ross, John Gibson, Anthony Sherrils, Thomas Wilson, Cam Hilton (assuming a switch back to S), Greg Taylor, Ronnell Perkins, Finis Stribling IV and TJ Warren make up the rest of the defensive backfield. That's an explosive group.

I think we're on the verge of some GREAT Tiger teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.