ADVERTISEMENT

Bball coaches understanding the rivalry

FiremanDanKC

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Kc, Mo
How long does it take a new coach to understand what the border war means? Will Gates develop his own hatred of kU?

Anyone who remembers Norm remembers that he didnt like kansas. It's possible that it was just PR Coach-speak but I believe those games meant more to him. Chiefs fans remember how Marty Schottenheimer hated the raiders. And he made sure his players did too. self has shown that he doesn't like Mizzou. And he's shown that he gets his players up to win that game. Maybe it's that he holds a grudge for Mizzou not hiring him or just living in Lawrence for 30 years and learning to hate the rival.

They said on the broadcast that Gates was Mizzou's 6th head coach since self was hired. Gabe said going into the game that nobody on Mizzou's bench including Gates knew what to expect for that atmosphere. He just hasn't experienced it. And personally he came off a little too star struck for my taste. I get that self is a hall of famer but we don't like or respect him here.

Did Quin give off the impression that he hated kU? What did it take for Mike Anderson to get there? Was it just recruiting Kansas City kids who already understood it? I think Haith only played them one year so I doubt he developed it. What needs to happen for Gates to buy in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News