ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM MIZZOU ARENA

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
I'm not sure there's much more to say than I said in my postgame story. Here it is if you missed it: https://missouri.n.rivals.com/news/more-than-braggin-rights-at-stake

This season is now about counting wins and getting as many as you can. I don't know how many is realistic. They've got to beat Illinois, I think. If they win, they have eight going into SEC play, and one that matters. If they lose, they've got zero and seven. The SEC has a lot of bad teams. But Missouri is one of them. And against legitimate competition, the Tigers not only haven't won, they haven't come particularly close (they did have a chance to beat Northwestern, but every other game was absolutely decided with about ten minutes still to play).

I don't know what the number is. And if you want to ignore the fact that Kim Anderson's probably coaching for his job, fine. I'll probably get some blowback for bringing up the fact that he is (and I'm not talking about from posters on this board). But if you don't acknowledge that fact, your head is buried beneath one hell of a lot of sand. Coaches can survive bad seasons. They can survive two bad seasons. I'm not sure they can survive two historically bad seasons.

Since 1966, Missouri has won fewer than 10 games once. That was last year. Since 1967, Missouri has one fewer than 12 games once. And that was last season. They have won 12 twice, 13 once. It's hard to see this team winning more than that right now, isn't it? So, at best, you're talking about two of the five worst seasons in 48 years.

I've said over and over that I think it's a worthy debate how much of this is his fault (if I had to rank in order of how much blame people get I'd go 1. Mike Alden 2. Frank Haith 3. Kim Anderson--at least for now, but that would change next year). But whether it's his fault or not, it's his problem and his job to fix it. I know a lot of people on this board don't want to wait three months to find out, but we're going to have to wait three months because nothing's changing before then. So we'll wait and see. At least I will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News