ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY *****ENTER THE CHAMBER: AUGUST 4, 2017*****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
Well here it is. The Chamber is back and better than ever. The Chamber heard there’s some new kid in town that will be the new Friday opening act. It's always nice of a true established feature like myself to give a youngster a chance to make it big.

Wait, what's that you say? It's some old retread opening for me. Damn it Gabriel I thought we talked about this crap. Only the best before me. Like Brian Freeman or Austin Kim.

Anyways on to the juicy stuff you all have been waiting to bury your face in. Here’s BA with some info on the 2018 class.

It's starting to sound like the 2018 class could extend past 25 signees. We're hearing that transfers out after this season could be even higher than usual. Perhaps Mizzou isn't half way through this class yet.

Here have been some misses by Mizzou since they're strong run. Adonis Boone, Taye Barber, Devin Brumfield, Justin Johnson, Maureese Wren, DeMarcus Marshall, Victor Curne, Luke Jones, John Huggins and Caleb Chapman are all top targets of the Tigers who committed elsewhere in the last couple weeks.

New offers will start rolling out a couple weeks in to the high school season. WR and OL will be priority spots for sure. And CB if they miss on Jakorey Hawkins and Donte Burton.

Look for Mizzou to sign one more wide receiver and maybe two if they can land Babb. Three more offensive lineman is the plan. One, maybe two running backs. One tight end. Four defensive lineman and one cornerback.

As always there are guys that Mizzou will take no matter the numbers. Kamryn Babb, Michael Thompson and Ronnie Perkins top that list.

Here's the grandfather with some nuggets on football and basketball.

Let's start with some football stuff since camp just started:

No worries on Walter Palmore. He's in town. Just a matter of how soon he can practice.

No panic, but maybe a bit of worry, on Malik Young. As has been said, it's an NCAA issue. But I don't think it's as simple as a test score or a class. Has more to do with a situation as far as the junior colleges he went to and his eligibility clock. It's been reported all summer that Mizzou is awaiting a waiver from the NCAA. And as you guys know, when the NCAA is involved, who knows how long it takes?

Same with Rashad Brandon. I've seen this situation before with Tony Temple and Aldon Smith. They could practice and then all of a sudden the couldn't. Those situations, if I recall, took between one and two weeks to work out. It basically cost Smith a chance to play his freshman year. Don't have that worry with Brandon because he was here for spring football, so I think he'll be fine.

On O'Shae Clark, it wasn't any one incident. Multiple people told me it was basically a pattern of behavior since he hit campus. This just wasn't a kid that was going to work in the program. He joins Matt Casaday as the only players I remember signing and never making it through a single practice. Look, there are reasons kids are available when O'Shae was. Now he seemed like a nice kid to me in my very limited dealings with him, but what do I know? The point is, Missouri got left at the altar by Jafar Armstrong and Elijah Gardiner and they threw a hail mary. Unfortunately for them, it flew about 30 yards out of bounds.

Speaking of that wide receiver recruiting, which was a failure any way you slice it, as we've told you multiple times this week, the hope is to get Da’Ron Davis in at semester. Reports he was headed to JuCo were not correct. That may be where he ends up, but he's going to take the ACT and try to get in.

Speaking of JuCo, not exactly related to Mizzou, but Chester Graves is not at the Mississippi JuCo he was supposed to be at and one source told me Ole Miss won't be involved with him when he's done. I'm not sure Missouri will either. Many people said even when he was in high school they weren't sure he'd ever play D1 ball and that's a fair thing to wonder. I'd heard some talk he was going to go to Iowa Western, but I don't know if that's the case. I'm not sure at this point how heavily Missouri will be involved. He's a four-star, at least, talent wise. But you've got to make sure it's worth the investment of time.

Way too early prediction on freshmen I think see the field: Tyree Gillespie, Adam Sparks, Jamal Brooks, Aubrey Miller, Chris Turner, Larry Rountree, Larry Borom, Kobie Whiteside and Akial Byers.

To the 2018 football class. First off, let's address the last two weeks: YUGE. This staff needed that run so, so badly. Now, what do they do from here? I think there are going to be some people that end up regretting writing off the in-state class in July. I think Missouri will do okay. At this point, I think they're in good to great shape with Ronnie Perkins, Trevor Trout and Michael Thompson. I wouldn't write them off with Cameron Brown or Dallas Craddieth, though I think those two will both have to make decisions sooner than the other three. Kamryn Babb is still tough, but if you could get Perkins, Trout and Thompson, I think that would make him at least consider following those guys to CoMo. But even if not, you get Perkins, Trout and Thompson and I think you have the potential makings of a top 20-25 recruiting class, depending on what you can do outside the state.

Last thing, on hoops recruiting. I expect Jontay Porter to officially reclassify in the next couple of days. I don't know if he'll announce it, I don't know if Missouri will announce it. And I don't know if anybody in the media will be able to get it on the record to report it. But I think it's going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News