ADVERTISEMENT

Im Back - Lets RocknRoll

ABaumli

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2005
Spent 8 days in Kaua'i with fam, so didn't get to hit the board very, definitely didn't spend much time on OT.

Hawaii. I find it interesting how the super rich either own Hawaii or buy that shit up daily.

Steve Case (AOL founder) bought like 50,000 acres back in early 2000s for like $10M. That land includes coastline, sugar cane ranch, mountains and private lake. What a steal.

Zuckerberg has bought about 1400 acres and but building a mega dooms day compound in secret. Then there is Larry Ellison owning 98% of Lanai. The Ellison and Case properties are interesting, because the only reason those were private and massive was because US govt helped ranchers and DOLE control the land and out the monarchy. Was this ok or not, hard to say. History is written by the winners.

What I found interesting was that Hawaii elects democrats all the time. Dems used to be opposed to these land grabs, private people owning everything, etc. And yet, Hawaii just keeps getting bought up more and more by the uber rich. There was the story of Maui fire where Rich were ready to pounce and by up all the land (Zuckerberg style). I asked locals why they didn't increase property taxes, that would hit the rich land owners hard and provide the locals with more money for schools, etc. They said they have tried, but everything gets thrown out. Also, rich people have orchestrated cheaper taxes by planting Eucalyptus trees. Im really kind of shocked this is the result.

ON to the richer issues. The uber rich don't necessarily care about the money when they reach a certain point. They want to be richer than everyone else, but the real thing they care about is exclusivity. And this brings me to my major point.

For the rich, people exist in 2 categories. 1. Provide for rich people, or 2. inconvenience for the rich.

Here is a snippet from a WEF interview:

I feel like the world is heading kind of into more of mid evil like times. WHere the nobles or Lords control everything. So the government wants the taste, so they give the nobles what they ask for just for a taste of the life. Further it reminds me of this line from Braveheart. William Wallace talking to the nobles. "You think these people exist to provide you with possession. I think your possession exists to provide people with freedom and I aim to make sure they have it."

I think that's what is going on. When the people no longer provide possession, they become an inconvenience, whether that be traffic, competition for stuff, time, etc. And as AI, automation, etc. take over more, less people are needed to provide possession which means more become an inconvenience.

This is not the first time we have went through this. The industrial revolution meant we needed less people and the world adapted. I think the world will adapt again, but it will be a tough decade or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News