ADVERTISEMENT

It ALL comes down to this…

gfuray

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2002
THE SOBERING REALITY
Man oh man that game was hard to watch. I knew that MTSU would present a much sterner test than most casual fans (picked Mizzou to win 31-30) but geezo pizo Coach Drink must like to live on the edge. As you can tell today it’s not just what is being said but WHO is saying it. When the captains and kings and queens of the Mizzou sunshine pumpers club are disturbed—-Coach Drink is in a very dangerous spot. And why wouldn’t/shouldn’t they be frustrated???

Coach Drink hardly resembles the same guy we were introduced to in LSU 2020. Lots of eye candy, movement to attack the defense in a very particular way and spot (thinking of a play where Niko Hea released out and was left completely unchecked.). You absolutely knew MTSU blitzes early, often and always. But No quick slants to take advantage of the vacated spots left by blitzing linebackers—wheel route goes completely uncovered for a TD and is never tried again???

Oh——and don’t get me started about how we almost NEVER use one of our most effective plays with Cook at QB—-Sprint option right. Remember @Auburn last year…? Run that play once and the back literally walks in. But not since? Brady Cook can run and run very WELL. Given that fact, if he’s QB1, shouldn’t the offense be tailored to what he’s particularly good at? Speed option. Pass to the TE off a speed option? end around left/fake speed option right. Fake end around left speed option?

Most concerning of all was the difference in ATTITUDE that seems different about HCED. Again reference the LSU 2020 game. That Coach truly believed in his guys to make a goal line stand to win the game. But last night on 4th and 2feet late in the game at their 45 playing an overmatched opponent? Up 13 points? Basically your opponent is down and you lift the dagger up—-and say NAH—-we’re gonna punt??? Do you think Bob Stoops would EVER do that???

RIGHT HERE——RIGHT NOW

Right here right now.

It all comes down to this. This season was ALWAYS going to hinge on the pivotal KSU matchup—-but after last night I believe that the tenure of Coach Drinkwitz at Mizzou will come down to this moment in time.

Before last night I felt that the key to the entire MIZZOU season was the KSU game because if we can win that one and perhaps convincingly—-real momentum could build. 8, 9, 10 wins or more weren’t out of the question. But now after last night, I believe that if we don’t respond the right way, I honestly feel like the wheels could come off, And that’s NOT a pretty picture.

HAVEN’T WE BEEN HERE BEFORE?

Actually, yes MIZZOU fans have most definitely been here before.

The. site was Shreveport Louisiana. The date was December 30, 2005. The opponent was Steve Spurrier and his South Carolina Gamecocks. Like KSU they’re one of my most important and hated rivals. (I live here in SC.).

The score was quickly 21-0 before you even got seated. To say our backs were against the wall was a massive understatement. Then IT ALL STARTS WITH ONE PLAY Marcus King—-100 yard interception 21-7. WE HAVE LIFE. Then just a minute and a half later—-boom TD USC 28-7.

Right here and right now is when the magic happened. A fellow named Brad Smith thought about his last game in an
MIZZOU uniform and decided to flip the entire script. And then a true leader Martin T Rucker (T-Ruck) started literally going crazy. On one play he he was hit by about 3-4 Gamecocks well short of the sticks and just carried them for the first down. Then he gets up screaming “I’m GOING FOR A RIDE!!! WHO IS COMING WITH ME???”

Thats when things got really fun!!! Chase “The Bull” Coffman with a spectacular catch to go into half down only 14. I would love to have been in that locker room!!!

We start the 2nd half with a wonderful drive replete with a sprint option pass to the TE and a beautiful fake FG down to the 1. Then disaster….no points at all.

Then a senior LB who barely played his entire career goes on a personal rampage! Incredible stop! Than a magical and unbelievable shoestring INT. The kind of play you still wonder—-“How did he even catch that???”

Then our own PROUDSON—-Adam Crossett —-eager for redemption bombs an unreal 50 yarder that would have been good from 60!!! Are you freaking kidding me???

Then the O line completely begins to ABSOLUTELY MAUL people and BRAD SMITH works his magic! But there’s still lots of time —-we need someone else to step up!!

Darnell Terrell!!! Jumps the route! Pick! Then he sprints over to Marching Mizzou and wildly exhorts them to play the fight song!!!

My point here is that things looked about as bleak as bleak can get. I firmly believe that if that game ends differently—-perhaps GP isn’t even the Coach and 2007 and that magical season never happens. Armageddon at Arrowhead? Doesn’t happen. #1 in country upon completion of 07 season? No way!!!

SEC——-Are you freaking kidding me?.?.?

I think of one of my favorite all time movies—-Dead Poets Society. Goosebumps stand everywhere on me as I remember these words:

”To quote from Whitman- O me! O life!…of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless;…of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life.’ Answer. That you are here-that LIFE exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and YOU may contribute a verse. What will YOUR verse be?????”

So here we are—-RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW!!!

WHAT’S GONNA HAPPEN???

Many of you live in KC and have heard incessantly for over a year about this game and how KSU will take over our stadium and maul us. And that’s only gonna continue unabated this next week!

So I’ve got some messages I wanna give each of you:

Coach Drink——You’ve recruited well and have so many qualities we want our Coach to have.
You could be the best coach in the history of Missouri.. And I, and lots and lots of other rabid MIZZOU fans sincerely hope you are because that means MIZZOU will have some incredible moments just about to happen! But for that to happen—-you need to get control RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT
NOW. You need to have FUN! You need to GO FOR IT—-NO HOLDS BARRED. PLAY TO WIN!!! ALWAYS. Oh and maybe attack the vacated blitzing spot.

To the O Line—-Football is won or lost in the trenches! Are you gonna be the guys who are gonna take us for a ride??? Because your success determines our success more than any position group! Have fun! Pancake blocks! Maul people! Sheer will! Let’s F*CKING GO!!!!

Brady Cook this is your team. We’ve seen what happens when folks doubt you. Williams Brice Stadium ranked Gamecocks. Place literally going bonkers. The stadium shaking! Then you did your thing! Let’s see that BC. Your very best game as a Tiger QB.

TO LB3—-you remind me of Maclin and T-Ruck and Brad Smith. This team can go places. Let’s go!!! LFG!!!

TO DEATH ROW DEFENSE. Let’s get some picks! Some strip sacks!! Some fumble recoveries!! I remember being in the Swamp 2014. Mizzou scored on kickoff return, punt return, fumble return, and interception return! It was ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS
It’s time for Mizzou and absolutely everyone who gives a shit to take everything personally. Everything!

LET’S GO!!!

AND THAT INCLUDES US —THE FANS. THIS IS OUR HOUSE!! This is YOUR HOUSE!!!

Who are we??? What, exactly, do we stand for??? Will YOU PROTECT THIS HOUSE???

Make The Zou the best environment you’ve ever seen. Impose your will. DIRECTLY Affect the outcome of this game. Be an actual part of making this a truly special win and a turning point for the team we all love!

IT ALL STARTS WITH ONE GAME. WITH ONE SINGLE PLAY.

The opportunity is HUGE. Coach GP would instead use the word MAMMOTH.

It’s KSU.

Lets F*CKING GO!!!!!,

Sincerely,

Guy V Furay
Missouri 1990

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News