ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY KING'S COURT: LOOKING AT MIZZOU'S LAST THREE OPPORTUNITIES

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
For a moment, I thought that Wednesday was going to be the game that Mizzou finally got it done.

The team was just about as close as it had ever been in its matchup with Florida. I thought the trajectory of the night was going to flip when Walter Clayton Jr., UF’s leading scorer, fould out fo the game. As I wrote in my game story, the Tigers pulled within one point of the Gators on five separate occasions. Florida had an answer for Missouri nearly every time it got that close. And MU had no answers for UF.

I thought head coach Dennis Gates made a good point after the game, too: it’s not like they took bad shots in those spots. It’s not like they had the wrong players taking those shots, either. We’re talking about a missed layup from Tamar Bates, or missed 3-pointers from a wide-open Sean East II or Nick Honor. They’re the best looks this offense is currently capable of generating.

But the team failed to execute every time. And yes, Mizzou didn’t lose by one possession. But taking a lead at any point could’ve been all the momentum the team needed to get its first SEC win.

It felt different Wednesday night. But it wasn’t.

The what-ifs continue to pile up. Sisyphus continues to roll his rock. The team now has three games left on its slate. Three chances to avoid going defeated.

The best opportunity seems like its next game against Ole Miss on Saturday. The Rebels are in the middle of a rough spell, losing six of their last seven, the lone win coming against the Tigers. That game was only decided by three points, 79-76, and took place in Oxford, Miss. Missouri will have homecourt advantage this time around. And credit where credit is due: the team does still have a very real homecourt advantage. The fans are still showing up despite the record. A five-point swing shouldn’t be insurmountable.

Mizzou follows it up with a Senior Night game against No. 12 Auburn. Emotions are going to be high, especially if the team is still winless by this point. The black and gold won’t lack for motivation. But it’d take an unreal performance from MU to pull off the upset. Auburn’s been one of the best teams in the league all season long and Missouri isn’t close to being on the same level at the moment.

That leaves a road game against LSU in the regular season finale. The purple and gold Tigers are beatable, but they also aren’t pushovers, going 7-8 in SEC play so far. Even last year’s MU squad had a tough time with this game on the road, allowing LSU to get off to a 19-point lead before rallying in the second half to take an 81-76 victory. Giving up a 19-point lead to anybody would all but doom the current version of Mizzou’s team.

KenPom doesn’t have Missouri favored in any of the three outings, but does still project the team to come out with a win somehow, some way. The pressure’s going to continue building until the Tigers get it done.

It’s clear that the basketball gods are displeased with Missouri.

I mean, how else do you describe what’s happened to the Tigers this season? Roster construction and coaching and on-court execution play a part, sure, but the team’s also just had flat-out rotten luck as far as the end of games and injuries. In fact, MU ranks dead last among all NCAA Division I schools in KenPom’s luck rating, which compares what a team’s projected winning percentage should be to what it actually is.

What’s not clear, however, is why the basketball gods are displeased. And I’ve been thinking about it all year and have kept a running list of possibilities. Here are my hunches, in order of which I think are the least realistic to the most:
  • Matt Stahl and/or Dave Matter left the Mizzou basketball beat
Look, I’m not saying the beat writers who cover a team have everything to do with that team’s luck. But I am saying they might have a little bit to do with it. Texas State’s football team never won more than four games while I worked in San Marcos. I left and two years later, the Bobcats made their first bowl appearance in school history. During the 2022 baseball season, Texas State had a 15-0 record at home when I showed up to its games and on time, a 1-1 record when I showed up to games late and a 1-4 record without me at the ballpark. Pressbox chemistry has to be balanced and adding or subtracting different ingredients can throw everything out of whack. I tend to think it wasn’t Matt or Dave, though, because Mizzou at least won eight games since they moved onto new ventures.
  • Chris Kwiecinski left the basketball beat
This one’s a little more convincing. Mizzou was 8-5 while Chris was here and has been 0-15 since he left the Columbia Daily Tribune in January. Still, the Tigers lost to Jackson State on his watch, which surely seemed like a sign of things to come in retrospect. And again, I don’t think beat writers have everything to do with a team’s luck — only a little bit.
  • Mizzou Arena replaced its yellow/gold chairs with black ones (and, to a lesser degree, the jumbotron)
Look, I get it. Most people weren’t a fan of the yellow seats. They seemed a little dated, sure. But did anyone stop to ask the basketball gods like color? What if they didn’t want Mizzou Arena to look like every other stadium in America? What if they didn’t want an animated video of a tiger roaming the jungle projected onto Norm Stewart Court before every game inside Mizzou Arena?

The changes were honestly cool, so I’d guess that the basketball gods were amenable to all of them. But there’s just no way to know for sure.
  • Noah Carter and Aidan Shaw stopped doing the Fusion Dance
What was once an every-game occasion seems to have become extinct. I honestly think I’ve only seen the ritual happen two or three times this year.

The Fusion Dance is unique to Carter and Shaw. You don’t see any other players in the country pulling it off the way they do. It used to be my favorite part of the Tigers’ warmups. Now all I have to look forward to is Mizzou’s big guys posterizing the little ones.

It’s clearly not as enjoyable. And I think there’s a good chance the basketball gods have noticed.
  • “Mr. Brightside” is no longer played during games
This is the prime suspect in our case. The Killers’ hit song seemed cemented in Missouri’s tradition last season. There were a handful of times last year when the Tigers turned the tide of the game as a direct result of the song being played.

Gates more or less started a mosh pit during Mizzou Madness in October, ending the evening by inviting the crowd to join the team on the makeshift court at The Columns and requesting for the song to be played. But it’s now been four months and I haven’t heard it played in an MU-associated loudspeaker since. I couldn’t say for certain why the song is no longer a part of the game day experience, but I’d be willing to bet some people in charge didn’t like the crowd chanting “F—k K-U!” during the instrumental breaks.

Regardless, it was clearly a part of the Tigers’ culture and the vibes have not been the same since they distanced themselves from it. Of all the changes that have happened in the last year, that one seems like it’s had the most negative impact.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News