ADVERTISEMENT

LSU mod latest update on Baker Update 5:43pm Central Time

psears0305

Redshirting
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2020
“I know everyone wants to know what the latest is with the DC search as that seems to be the hot topic around the LSU circles these days. I've spent many hours on the phone making calls, texts to many the contacts in my network and the one common theme in every conversation is Blake Baker. He was the first name we mentioned in November when we said we felt like changes were on the horizon. He continues to be the hot name in these conversations and in many LSU circles. So, what's the latest?

There's still a bit of confidence on both sides of the fence as of last night. I'm still told that Baker is at the top of the short list. Contacts on the Missouri side are cautious, but still feel they can make a strong case for Baker to stay in Columbia. I'm told that if Baker was to accept the LSU job it won't be because of Money. There's more that could go into this though that would help LSU's efforts. As we previously said his wife is a Louisiana native, she graduated from LSU, played Soccer at LSU and bleeds Purple and Gold. The belief is that she absolutely wants to come home. There are other ties for Baker to Louisiana as well, outside of his previous stint at LSU, most of you already know he graduated from Tulane and coached at both LSU and Louisiana Tech. But he has other ties to the regional area as well. He was born in Jackson (MS) and lived in and around the Houston area during his high school years. He's a graduate of Clear Lake High School 20 minutes outside of Downtown Houston and still has family in Texas just a little over four hours away from Baton Rouge. Relocating to Louisiana would bring his wife home and him a lot closer to his family, so there's a case to be made for that.

The other belief among my Missouri contacts is that Baker still wants to become a head coach and his name was already being brought up in coaching searches this offseason. Another strong season at Missouri would help his case, but at the same time you can also make an argument that after rebuilding Missouri's defense, doing it again at LSU would only make his resume that much stronger. So, there's arguments you can make for both sides in that regard.

So, to be completely honest, as of this moment I can't say whether he'll take the job or turn it down. But everything I've heard dating back to November puts him at the top of that list. Nothing has changed on that front. It's his if he wants it.

I haven't heard anything in the last 24 hours that changes that. I would like to put a word of caution out on anything that's getting put out there. Jimmy Sexton is his agent and if you're not familiar with how Sexton works, he's not above "playing the game" meaning he will deliberately leak information sometimes true or false to benefit him and his clients. So, take it for what it's worth. If I know info comes from an agent, I'll typically include that as a disclaimer because I don't trust them.

I was told that we should have an answer one way or another sometime this weekend whether it's Baker or not. Could be as soon as today, but I'd expect something before the end of the weekend. I'll continue to monitor the phones and will update you as we have more. But look the Baker situation to resolve itself sometime over the next 24 to 48 hours. Based on the info I've heard; I'd be surprised if it carried over into next week and just to be clear by "It" I'm speaking on the Baker to LSU situation. If Baker turns them down (which is a real possibility) obviously I would not be surprised for it to drag out longer.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News