ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Mizzou's Defense

mizzoucobra

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
This, more than anything, is what gets me down about this team/staff.

I've discussed defense on here multiple times, and that it's not just a matter of "effort." I still stand 100% behind that. It includes effort, of course. But it also requires individual defensive skils, team defense concepts, sufficient athleticism and understanding what your opponent is trying to do on a game by game basis.

And Mizzou's defense is subpar. Part of that can be explained by lack of size in terms of rebounding and interior defense. More can be explained by our complete inability to defend the ball either with primary or secondary defenders, resulting in tons of fouls. Perhaps lack of "chemistry" (despite preseason proclaimations to the contrary) in a young team can explain poor defensive team concepts.

But one thing has been constant. We're not good at it.

Consider Ken Pomeroy's adjusted defensive efficiency rankings (going back as far as his ratings go):

***Quin Snyder***
2002: 80th
2003: 42nd
2004: 115th
2005: 73rd
2006: 190th
***Mike Anderson***
2007: 81st
2008: 116th
2009: 20th
2010: 24th
2011: 82nd
***Frank Haith***
2012: 146th
2013: 73rd
2014: 160th
***Kim Anderson***
2015: 163rd
2016: 173rd

And looking at individual statistical rankings this year, it makes it even more confusing...

Our 3 point defense % (against) ranks 160th. Our 2 point defense % (against) ranks 77th. Effective field goal % (against) ranks 106th. It's not that teams are just burning down the nets each game. The issues as I see it are that we rank 228th nationally in opponents turnovers and 265th in fta/fga attempted. What that says is we're generating NO extra offensive possessions with defense and that we can't guard without fouling. A terrible combination. And we're doing this against a schedule that ranks 149th nationally in adjusted offensive efficiency. Not exactly a murderers row.

And looking back at 2015, we ranked 280th nationally in opponents turnovers and 303rd nationally in fta/fga attempted. Seeing the exact same issues (and this was after an entire conference schedule, so I anticipate our numbers in 2016 are headed that way).

Our offense isn't good. But scoring the basketball can often prove far more difficult at times than stopping the basketball. It's harder for younger teams. To me, the poor defense has been the most disappointing aspect over recent years. And judging by the numbers, it's not getting better any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News