ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY MONDAY SEARCH UPDATES (UPDATED 6:15 PM)

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
6:15 UPDATE: The tweet from FootballScoop.com is on the board, but we have been tracking the reported flights of Missouri's administration today. We believe they were in Ohio first, and while we don't have confirmation on this, it would make sense if they met with Bowling Green's Dino Babers. We also heard (independently of FootballScoop) that they would be in Colorado either tonight or tomorrow. Again, no confirmation of this, but Troy Calhoun (Air Force) and Mike Bobo (Colorado State) are in about an hour drive from Denver.

3:07 UPDATE:
There seems to be a lot of momentum in the Barry Odom camp today. One person I spoke with in Memphis believes the feeling down there is that Odom is going to get the Mizzou job. At this point, there's nothing concrete to say it's Odom, but if I had to handicap it, I'd put that as the most likely option.

Let's pause for a second before I whip the board into a needless frenzy.

I have put out some feelers on Mark Richt. I've talked to people that cover UGA and know Richt some and the general feeling is that he would listen if Missouri called. He wants to coach, he isn't happy with being forced out in Athens and these people think he'd listen. Understand, I have no idea if he would listen. He hasn't told anybody he would listen to my knowledge. And I don't know if Missouri is even interested or going to try to contact him. So before you put the cart before the horse (which will occur about seven seconds after the first person reads this if it hasn't occurred already), I am not saying Mark Richt is a candidate for the job. I'm just saying that a couple people I know who know Richt infinitely better than I do think he would pay attention if Missouri called.

Now hurry up and post on Twitter that I said Mark Richt is taking the Missouri job.

1130 UPDATE: Tom Herman
has agreed in principle to an extension at Houston. He's staying. Which is what people have said to expect for a couple weeks now. The simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation. I know people were holding out hope that Herman was the mystery man, but he isn't.

Mark Richt said he wants to get back into coaching. Does that mean anything for Mizzou? I'm not sure. I haven't had anyone say Mizzou would be interested, but unlike the Les Miles situation, I haven't been told Mizzou would not be interested either. It's worth monitoring and I'll pass on anything I can find on it, if I can find anything.

Will update this post throughout the day as we get information/speculation/etc

We will start with just one note but it is a fairly significant one: Late last night I had two sources indicate to me that it looks unlikely Matt Rhule will be Missouri's next coach.

My thought going into the interview was that if he was the top choice, Mizzou would be able to get a deal done, and maybe do so fairly quickly. It is my opinion, then, that he isn't. I do not specifically know why the feeling is that Rhule won't be at Mizzou, but this info came to me from two very different, unconnected sources which is why I put stock in it.

To me, this means there are really only two options as of this morning (assuming that it is accurate Missouri won't hire Rhule):

1. Mizzou hires Barry Odom. I believe Odom and Rhoades were to meet either yesterday or today again. If this is the direction Missouri goes, I have to believe that news breaks in the next 48 hours and maybe very soon. Even if Memphis hasn't officially offered Odom it's head coaching job, he is the clear cut favorite there and various places are saying he will interview early this week. So a decision would need to be made on that front relatively quickly.

2. Rhoades has somebody in hand that we flat out don't know about. It may be someone we have mentioned in the last two weeks or it may be a complete wild card. The media does its very best to uncover information during searches. Sometimes coaches, agents and ADs do a better job of hiding it. And I am open to the possibility that Mack Rhoades is smarter than all of us and has had something done with someone, or will very shortly, that we have missed. I spoke with someone who knows Rhoades from one of his previous spots who told me Rhoades is one of the most thorough ADs in the country. This person said even if he has his man locked up, he will go through the search process and complete every interview he had scheduled just to be absolutely certain he isn't missing anything and is going the right direction. So as I mentioned yesterday, it is not out of the question that he knew who he was hiring before all the interviews and craziness of the weekend even began.

So in conclusion for now, if it is Odom, I expect we know in the next couple of days. If we don't hear anything in that time frame (I will say by some time Wednesday) then I think it is much more likely that we have all missed the boat on this one and we are going to be scrambling to find out which direction Mizzou will go. Buckle up and keep an eye on Memphis' search. Should be an interesting few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News