ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL My reactions to the first game of the season

mrubinelli

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2002
1. The energy we play with seems to be even more uptempo than last season. Gates probably cranks it up to 11 b/c we have depth like never before. I do worry about CV being able to keep up with the pace when he is cleared to play. Feels like he will get 15-17 situational minutes.

2. Aiden Shaw took a really big step last night. I think we saw 7 months of maturation, physical development and coaching manifested last night. Those two consecutive offensive boards on one possession set the tone and it turned out not to be a fluke. I think Dennis rewarded the first half effort Shaw showed by starting the second half and playing a record number of minutes. Jesus stayed on the bench as a signal to Aiden. You want to play more? Do what you did in the first half consistently all game. This is how you see more floor time.

3. Tamar Bates is better offensively than D'Moi and I get the reference to Kareem. That is a very smooth shot and was explosive getting to the rim. No one could stay in front of him. I think playing in Gates' system and in front of a ton of his family (which he referenced in the post game interview on the SEC Network) has inspired him to become the star we all thought he would be when HCCM could not close him. It would appear he can score like Dree in bunches and especially when you need a score to stop a run, but seems to be WAY more in control. What a gem of a pick up this seems to be. The #34 ranked recruit two years ago showed out.

4. I have no idea who's minutes John Tonje is going to take. Maybe a combo of Kalen Brown and some of the freshmen and spell Noah from time to time? Hard to tell.

5. Jesus has the best court vision of anyone on the team and is probably the best facilitator since Flip. I think if he finds his way on to the court he will lead the team in assists. He started for a reason and I trust the staff was not just guessing here with that decision. 10 minutes played 4 assists. This was tops on the team.

6. Caleb Grill is going to be such a fn favorite. Plays fearlessly and defends like a menace. 15 points 8/9 on free throws, 1 foul and 1 turnover yet only 1 three pointer made. Impressive start.

7. Kaleb - not seeing it yet

8. Trent Pierce - incomplete

9. Ant Robinson - did not look like a freshman at all. Very composed and confident with the ball and running the offense. He is going to be a really really good player. Probably the most overlooked of the incoming freshman.

10. Sean East 2 - what can you say, 8 early points and he was off to the races. Dude really played his tail off and his improvement in the first game back was terrific. He just looked so much more comfortable and confident out there. He belonged on the floor and wanted to show the world his game. What a show he put on too. Some of the fouls against him (2 in particular I am not sure he even touched the player) he got jobbed and his body language did not change. He's a warrior.

11. Curt Lewis - Incomplete

12. Noah Carter - the second or third game last season (I don't recall) Noah went off for like 28 when Kobe scored like 8. I remember thinking at the time that it was good to see this season would not be the Kobe Brown show exclusively. Noah, unlike Grill, had a very quiet 15 points. I acutally thought he only scored around ten. The point is, Noah does not need to be the alpha on this team or the bucket getter in the clutch. I think that role will fall on East or Bates, probably Bates at this point.

13. Jordan Butler looked good in limited time. Needs a cheeseburger or two, but you can tell the natural talent is there. Good footwork, smooth stroke and on offense he seems to be in the right position all the time.

14. Nick Honor did what Nick Honor does with a few more shots. Good to have his steadying presence back on the floor for one more tour of duty.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News