ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My view of the DC situation as of this morning

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
This has gone on long enough that I'm going to give you guys some educated opinion at this point. I'm taking some guesses here based on what I've heard. So these aren't predictions, this is just where I think things are based on what I've pieced together.

I've been told for three straight days now that news could come at any time. The earliest anyone thought it was going to be possible was Thursday night. Friday or Saturday seemed more likely, but not a sure thing. Now it's Sunday. So, sure, we could get news today. Also we could not. That informs me there's some negotiation going on.

I think there are three candidates Eli Drinkwitz is considering at this point (as I posted on Friday, he did an interview in Omaha on Wednesday, he did one in Tampa on Thursday night). Here's what I think the field potentially looks like:

*DJ Durkin: I'm confident he's in the group. It is my opinion he's the top option right now. I do not know that for sure, but that's the feeling I get. Auburn wants him too. There's a little NFL talk. Jimmy Sexton is involved. In other words, there's definite negotiation involved if indeed Durkin is the top guy. He made 1.6 at Texas A&M last year. Missouri was willing to offer Blake Baker 1.9. If you want Durkin, you're probably going to have to be in that neighborhood and potentially even a little higher (Missouri has the money, I was told it would have gone as high as 2.5 for Baker if that's what it would have taken). As far as the questions about Maryland and the distaste some will have for the hire, I get it. Those people are going to exist. But Missouri has done the homework here. If they're comfortable making him the hire, you have to trust them. I also talked to someone who covered him in College Station the last two years and was told no one in the building had a single bad thing to say about Durkin, even when things were falling apart all around him.

Durkin is the only person I can tell you as of today I'm positive is on the short list. The rest of this is a little bit of guesswork:

*Here's a new name I've heard in the last couple of days: Miami DC Lance Guidry. I'm not sure how serious it is. But I've heard it more than once. And it might fit with Drinkwitz doing an interview in Tampa. I'm not sure what Miami is paying him. Like I said, Durkin is the only one I can say with virtual certainty is on the short list. Guidry's a possibility on that list, but I don't know it.

*I mentioned Alex Grinch earlier this week. I'm confident there has been conversation between Grinch and Mizzou. I don't have any idea how serious those conversations were or if he'd be one of those on the short list of candidates.

*Had a couple people mention Iowa linebackers coach Seth Wallace to me. My information was that there was contact between Wallace and Missouri, but since that contact Wallace was elevated to assistant head coach at Iowa. At that time, I assumed Wallace to be off the table. It is possible that Missouri persisted after that promotion and Wallace remains a possibility.

*And of course, we have to account for a wild card. When information is as sparse as it's been on this, who knows what could be happening? It's certainly possible Drinkwitz has a guy nobody has even thought of. That guy could even be his top candidate.

I'm not dumb enough to give you guys a timetable on this. We're on alert for news again today, just like we have been the last three days. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Just wanted to give you guys an updated sense of my best guess at the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News