ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL On the DC search

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
No I don't have any specific names for you. Some things I've picked up or am thinking based on what I've heard:

*Interviews have occurred, I know that. Multiple. Don't have a number. It's tough to track interviews because they don't necessarily have to happen in person. More and more, Zoom is utilized. I know for a fact that's how DRF did the first round of interviews when she hired Dennis Gates. I think finalist interviews usually (but not always) happen in person, but the first round is quite often done virtually. Plus, schools are almost always too smart to be caught by FlightAware anymore. I still check it, but it's not nearly as useful as it was even five years ago.

*I do not think we have any news for at least a couple more days. I know you're all anxious, but at this point, there's no real rush. The portal is closed. Class starts Tuesday. The chance of any defections is very minimal.

*I don't get the feeling the galaxy brain stuff of waiting for the coaching carousel to slow down and hiring some ridiculously huge name is likely. I won't say it's impossible because I don't have specific names at this point, but based on what I've pieced together I don't think it's a situation where there's some conspiracy theory leading to the likes of Jesse Minter.

*I think there's at least a decent chance that the eventual hire is similar to Kirby Moore in that it's a name that hasn't really been on any of our lists so far. I know you guys will take this to mean I know who he's talking to. I promise I don't. If I had names, I'd share them. But I think one of the possible reasons NOBODY has any names is that they're names nobody is really tracking. If he was interviewing sitting Power Five coordinators, I've got to believe at least something would leak out from somewhere on that.

Given all that, I will remind you that if the hire does end up being a guy that hasn't been on our radar (or yours) that doesn't mean it's a terrible hire. None of us had mentioned Kirby Moore a year ago and he was one of the best OCs in the country this year based on how much Mizzou's offense improved from a year ago.

*In the absence of information it's human nature to assume the worst. So I know that's what people will continue to do. But that doesn't make it accurate. All it means is that we don't know. That doesn't have to mean it's going terribly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News