ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK THOUGHTS ON MIZZOU VS. KENTUCKY AT THE HALF

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-It feels like Mizzou can be good on offense or good on defense, but it can't be good on both. Let's start with the positive: I don't think you could've asked for a better performance offensively from Mizzou. Noah Carter came out of the Gates looking sharp. Sean East is doing his thing. Four other players have scored. And aside from a four-minute stretch, the Tigers have taken care of the ball. If Kentucky had gotten off to just an average start, Missouri would be scoring enough points to win this game.

-The issue is, MU's defense was so bad that the Wildcats got a huge leg up early on. Kentucky's guards were blowing by the Tigers' perimeter defenders and getting wide-open looks from outside. And look, it's a team full of future NBA players. They're going to torch most teams they play. And the defense looked a little better in the last 10 minutes -- or, at least, Kentucky cooled off. But those first 10 minutes...woof.

-A big head-scratcher for me: Mizzou's going score-for-score with Kentucky, only trailing 14-12 at the U16 timeout, and Dennis Gates sends in Jesus Carralero Martin and Curt Lewis. The Tigers turn the ball over on their first two possessions and Kentucky immediately goes on a run. Why the need for a sub in that spot? They already had a short bench with Ant Robinson out tonight. The group that was in the game had a flow going. I think it was a mistake to disrupt it.

-I also don't understand the decision to play Mabor Majak ahead of Jordan Butler and Trent Pierce. And look, Mabor hasn't been horrible. He's set good screens, got to the foul line and had a positive plus/minus. But he also gave up an open baseline jumper to Aaron Bradshaw and got whistled for a moving screen. It's just a total gamble when you're playing him. Gates got lucky those minutes weren't a disaster.

-Some solid minutes from John Tonje defensively, he's +11 on the night so far. He really helped turn the tide defensively spearheading the 1-3-1 zone. He hasn't taken a shot yet but if he can knock down a 3 or two, I would keep him out there for longer minutes.

-It's going better than expected for Mizzou. It's the best half they've played in a while. They're still down five. If they can keep shooting like they have been and tighten up on D, they'll have a shot to pull off the upset.
Screenshot 2024-01-09 185722.png

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News