ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK THOUGHTS ON MIZZOU VS. LSU AT THE HALF

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-Not a bad first half, but also still left a lot left to be desired. The defense, when they're not fouling, has been solid. I wrote in my preview, holding LSU to a low percentage from beyond the arc would go a long way because they don't have that many guys who can finish at the rim (Hunter Dean being an exception). They've done the job so far going man-to-man. If they could keep LSU off the line, they'll really be cooking on that end of the floor.

-Offensively, they haven't had to rely on just one or two guys to carry the offense, which is usually what holds them back. They've got five guys with four points in a half, that's gotta be some kind of record for the season. Noah Carter's airballed hook shot was ugly, but he's been huge since then. The offense was actually able to sustain between Sean East's two outbursts, which helped them hold onto the lead for most of the period.

-What's really hurt, though, is the turnovers. Mizzou took the lead at 12-11 and then coughed the ball up on each of their next three possessions. That simply can't happen. They've kept up with LSU on the boards, but they need to create some distance in the turnover margin.

-Trent Pierce made some plays, which is encouraging. That putback he had was a momentum-booster and he's held up on the defensive end. After as long of a layoff as he had, it just took him a little bit to settle back into the swing of things. That doesn't mean you have to go into next season expecting him to be a starter, but it does make you feel a little better that he can compete on this level.

-Is this the best they've looked in SEC play? I know they had a bigger lead at Vanderbilt but that got zapped away before halftime. And I know they've made some furious second-half comebacks, but that always seemed like it was due in part to the opponent taking their foot off the pedal. Either way, Mizzou's put itself in a position to get its long-coveted win. They've gotta come out strong in the second half here.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 202311.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News