ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK THOUGHTS ON MIZZOU'S 79-67 LOSS TO FLORIDA

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-Man, it was a bad time for Sean East to have one of his worst games of the season. Gates said that he was sick before the Alabama game - they played him 30 minutes anyway. Gates also said he didn't miss one rep in practice this week but maybe he's still recovering. Regardless, he didn't look like himself. I haven't seen East be that timid all year long. Tamar Bates continued to look awesome but he didn't get enough help. Mizzou could've made it a 1-point game if Sean didn't pass up *that* layup (you know the one I'm talking about). Instead, he turned it over on the possession and Florida went on a run that extended the lead to 8. It's pretty close to impossible for Mizzou to win if both East and Bates aren't playing up to their standard.

-Florida adjusted to the traps that the Tigers were sending at them (especially when Connor Vanover, who's got cinderblocks for feet, was the one trapping). And so Mizzou went to a zone look, but it also started giving up a lot more easy looks in transition (especially when Vanover, who is perpetually in slow motion, is the one who's supposed to get back to protect the rim). I said at halftime, the team had to keep battling. It didn't happen.

-I continue to be really puzzled by Gates' rotations. We've asked him about it before, he's told us his thinking about some of the decisions but I still just don't get it. Jordan Butler was Mizzou's best big in the first half. He didn't get back in the game until the 10-minute mark of the second half. I wish I could give you a reasonable explanation why, I really do.

-What would this game have looked like without Tamar Bates? @GabeD said at some point during the first half "He should just take every shot from now on." And he wasn't wrong. The team without Bates was shooting below 33% from the field. I know Gates preaches "shots over turnovers" but they were really testing the limits of that theory tonight.

-It's somehow still early in SEC play. There are a lot of games still left on the schedule. But it's hard to see this team avoiding the opening round of the conference tournament. They just don't have any juice.
Screenshot 2024-01-20 211514.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News