ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL RECRUITING Quick update where things stand

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
*Kadin Shedrick has visits scheduled to Xavier and Duke next week. We don't believe the Xavier one will happen and we believe the Duke one will be moved up. But that hasn't happened at this point. Checked with someone that covers Duke and he said the Blue Devils are actively pursuing a rim protector but he's not at all sure Shedrick is the top priority. Mizzou's pitch is that playing time is much more available here and he's the piece that completes the roster. Texas is definitely a threat here as well.

*I've heard some pretty positive things surrounding Matthew Cleveland. One person told me the belief around Florida State and its basketball staff is that Cleveland will end up at Missouri. Of course, nothing we're hearing (or anyone is hearing) is coming from Cleveland. He hasn't said anything or even posted anything on social media since entering the transfer portal. Someone who covers North Carolina told me the belief is that the Tar Heels are prioritizing Stanford transfer Harrison Ingram. There was early buzz with Auburn and Michigan on Cleveland, but that's seemed to quiet down. I believe Miami is still a threat. Missouri has a coach in Atlanta for EYBL this weekend.

I'm not sure which coach it is. But Cleveland is an Atlanta native. I wonder if Mizzou's staff could make an in-home visit with Cleveland's family while they're in Atlanta. Absolutely no information that is happening, just something that popped in my head as making sense as long as they were there anyway.

*The deadline for Kobe Brown to declare for the NBA Draft is tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. There doesn't really seem to be any doubt that's going to happen. I still think it's possible it already has happened and he just hasn't put anything out on social media. Dennis Gates certainly spoke last week as if it is a foregone conclusion. But I've asked a couple people around the program if that's the case and they honestly don't know. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up that Kobe is going to return to Missouri without going through the draft process. I think that is incredibly unlikely. Some time in the next 38 hours, I assume we'll see that announcement on Twitter and Instagram.

*If you can add Shedrick and Cleveland, I think there's a decent possibility you're done unless someone just pops in the portal you can't resist. Here's what we expect Missouri's roster to be as of right now:

Scholarship/NIL (as we've said, who knows which is which at this point):

Sean East
Nick Honor
John Tonje
Noah Carter
Caleb Grill
Curt Lewis
Tamar Bates
Aidan Shaw
Anthony Robinson
Trent Pierce
Jordan Butler

Walk-ons

JV Brown
Danny Stephens
Mabor Majak
Jackson Francois

Wait and see

Kobe Brown
Isiaih Mosley
--we're still getting indications from people that know more than us that there's a very definite possibility Mosley is part of the roster. He's still doing team activities and has posted on social media from Mizzou Arena recently. We'll know with Kobe by the end of May. With Mosley, we may not know until much later than that. My guess is that they're proceeding as if he's on the team but he's going to have to show continued commitment and ability to be a full member of the team. This is likely to remain ambiguous well into the summer in my opinion.

Including Shedrick and Cleveland, that's 19 players that could be a part of the roster next year. If you want to throw in Jamarion Sharp to make it 20, cool, go ahead. There aren't really any rules or limits anymore, so why not? Are they all here and is Missouri carrying 19 guys next year, including 15 that are scholarship caliber players? I honestly doubt it, but who knows?

Full breakdown as far as years of eligibility is here. Mosley, Kobe and Sharp are all one year players who would go in 2024 if they come back. Cleveland has two, Bates has two. I think Shedrick has two as well, though I'm not positive on that (he redshirted in 2020 and has played in three seasons at Virginia).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News