ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Flops

GaryPinkelsVisor

Letterman
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2022
Wanted to point something out that I think Drink should get credit for.

Back in the days of Pinkel, the thought was how he did less with more. If he could just get a couple more of those local stars to stay home, Missouri would be a sleeping giant. Well them Drink came along, and started recruiting at an insane level. Landing Top300 kids left and right. Where under Pinkel/Odom we were lucky to even grab one. Heck Brandon Lee was our only Top300 recruit in one class. So Drink has done a great job recruiting more top talent. But has he actually??? (Stick with me here)

Went back and looked at the 20-23 recruiting classes. These are the Top300 guys we have landed during that time:
Javian Hester (20)
Travion Ford (21)
Dameon Wilson (21)
Luther Burden (22)
Marquis Gracial (22)
DJ Wesolak (22)
Sam Horn (22)
Tavorus Jones (22)
Issac Thompson (22)
Jamarion Wayne (22)
Brett Norfleet (23)
Gabarri Johnson (23)

What I'm getting at, is that of four classes of "Top300" guys, I think it's very safe to say only two of them have lived up to the billing (so far). So while drink is known as a Top Recruiter, I think he needs more credit for identifying and developing underrated talent, because when you go back to a lot of the contributors from last year, they were mostly ranked towards the middle or bottom of their recruiting classes. Transfer portal a big part of this as well (Hopper, Wease, Mookie, Cody).

Happy Tuesday Brothers!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News