ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING RECRUITING NOTES: 12/8 (UPDATE 10:02 PM)

brianaustin

Hall of Famer
Jun 18, 2001
Columbia, MO
-- Traded messages with 2016 Nixa (Mo.) tight end Chase Allen last night. He told me he hasn't heard from Mizzou since the new staff was hired and hadn't heard much before either. Asked him if he'd have any interest if Mizzou started recruiting him more and never heard back.

-- I'll have a full story later today, but wanted to drop a couple notes on Jerod Alton's in-home from last night. It was his first time ever meeting coach Odom. Alton, his mom, his dad and his step-dad all met with Odom and Ford. Alton said he never really waivered much on his commitment, but did hear from some schools. He is 100% committed now that he has talked with his new head coach. Got some good quotes on what Odom was like in the visit and what Alton and his dad thought of the racial tension at Mizzou.

-- A 2016 in-state prospect that I'm going to start following more closely and try to talk with is Adam Cofield from Blue Springs South. Rushed for 1373 yards and 16 touchdowns on 216 carries (6.4 YPC). Also caught 18 passes for 284 yards and two touchdowns. In the state championship game against CBC he had 227 total yards and four touchdowns. Mizzou is aware of him, but had not shown any real interest under old staff. With coach Odom wanting to ramp up in-state recruiting even more it will be interesting to see if this is a guy they might turn to if they can't hold on to Darius Anderson.

UPDATE 12:49 PM

-- Missouri coaches are at McCluer North today I'm told. Meeting with the McCluer North coach it sounds like. Harry Ballard has been tough to reach recently, but we will try him for sure today to see if an offer is extended.

UPDATE 4:05 PM

--If I had to bet, I'd say Missouri will hang on to Trystan Castillo, but he's definitely listening to others:

UPDATE 5:06 PM

-- Trystan Castillo tells me he talked with Andy Hill earlier this week and Barry Odom today. Coach Hill and coach Odom will visit him at his school on Thursday. They can't do the in-home that evening because Castillo will be heading to Arkansas for a basketball tournament. The in-home hasn't been scheduled yet, but should happen fairly soon. When Hill and Odom are down in Webb City they will set up the date for Castillo's official visit.

The three-star offensive lineman said Odom told him he wants at him at Mizzou and that he loves how Castillo plays. Odom wants him to come in and help build the foundation for the program because how Castillo goes about business is how Odom wants things done at Missouri. Odom also said that Missouri will have an OC and OL coach named soon.

Castillo had met Odom before, but he said today's phone call was the most he'd ever talked with him. He said he's always liked Odom and was 110% behind the hire, but was upset about Ricker being gone. Now he's waiting to see who the new offensive line coach will be.

As of now Castillo is planning to take official visits to Missouri, Iowa State and Mississippi State. He was at Minnesota this past weekend for an official visit.

UPDATE 5:30 PM

-- Harry Ballard confirmed with me that just coach Ford was at his school today and that they talked some. Coach Odom and coach Ford will be back in St. Louis next week and will have an in-home visit with Ballard. There isn't an exact official visit date for Ballard yet, but it will be late January.

I asked him about other schools recruiting him or other visits and he said he's pretty focused on Mizzou right now. He said he's not really considering Illinois anymore. He feels like an offer from Mizzou will be extended soon and he added that his grades are 'on point'. I'd say if the offer does get extended Ballard will commit pretty quickly if not immediately. Even if for some reason Ballard isn't able to qualify (the new requirements make qualifying more difficult) it wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou wants to guide the talented WR to their favorite Mississippi junior college.

UPDATE 5:50 PM

-- Andy Hill was in Kansas City today at the Simone Awards.

-- Adam Cofield told me via message today that he has heard some from Mizzou since the coaching change. Coach Hill told Cofield that he would be by his schools soon. I'm not sure how serious the recruitment is yet, but it is definitely worth following closely.

UPDATE 8:18 PM

-- Looks like some analysts are on the road filling in for Mizzou.

UPDATE 9:22 PM

-- Mr. Epenesa told me that coach Odom was at Edwardsville (Ill.) yesterday to see A.J. Epenesa.

UPDATE 10:02 PM

-- Kendall Bradley was down to see Darius Anderson tonight. Mr. Anderson said the in-home visit was great and they are setting up an official visit to Mizzou for late January.

-- Mackenzie Nworah confirmed that a Mizzou coach would visit him on Thursday.

-- Cornell Ford is talking with Albert Okwuegbunam tonight.

-- Trey Baldwin taking his official visit to Mizzou this weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News