ADVERTISEMENT

School Shootings?

MelWest

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2005
Parts Unknown
I know the OT is a place where people are expected to T off on any and everyone. But I really do have a serious question after reading the board between the discussion about religion and then the threads about what happend in Texas yesterday.........and has really made me seriously think about this.

School shootings are on the rise. They are not new...but they are more common. Heartbreaking...and you can make fun of me if you like. With that said...without politicial arguments or blaming those on the left or the right............what has changed in our country in the last 50 years to create this situation?

Some things I have thought about in the last 24 hours....and no research to back it up...just life lessons and experiences.

I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's. High School graduate in 1974. I have taught and been around schools all of my life...what is different?

In some ways, the students today are better behaved than me and my classmates. When I went to school...and when I started teaching...no uncommon for fights in school. Now..it rarely happens. Almost never. Used to be maybe one a week or every two weeks. Those that did not happen at school..took place at a planned location after school. We all knew it.

Granted...I am talking about smaller schools..rural settings. I can't speak for urban and suburban schools.

So while all of this was going on...there is a drastic difference now in school than "back in the day". Back in the day...we all conformed. We looked and dressed the same..listened to the same music...planned parties on the weekends, not at a house, but out in the country. Rarely was a party at a house. Couldn't..unless the parents were away...and they were rarely away.

But you walk the halls of schools today...you see so many more kids who just look lost...they have multiple piercings, they have their hair colored black or some bright color.....they may have a few friends who all stick together...those kids were not there even 30 or 40 years ago.

What has changed?
Families? Social Media? I know there is a group that thinks religion is a crock...but religion has also changed over the years...is this part of the problem? Heck...we had drugs and alcohol galore in the 70's......but it seems different today.

I really believe we are losing too many kids for some reason...and when I say lose them...they just don't fit in and they don't try to fit in...and they are raising themselves.

What do others think?

Just an old guy really trying to figure it out? Maybe we will never be able to turn it around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News