ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC SIAP; St L Post adds columnist

DSP73

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2013
Jose de Jesus Ortiz, who has covered Major League Baseball for most of the last two decades, has been hired as a sports columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Ortiz, 44, has spent the last 15 years at the Houston Chronicle, where he was the lead Astros beat writer from 2001 through 2009. He became the Chronicle’s international soccer and Major League Soccer writer in 2010 before returning to the Astros’ beat in late 2012. Ortiz also is a past president of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

“Baseball is my love and soccer is my passion,” said Ortiz,

“I feel blessed to now have the opportunity to write columns in America’s top baseball town for one of the most knowledgeable baseball fan bases in America," Ortiz said. “I’ve always enjoyed the passion St. Louis fans have for their Cardinals and sports in general.

“I'm also quite aware of the city's great soccer tradition because former U.S. national team midfielder Brad Davis and his fellow St. Louis Scott Gallagher alumni Will Bruin and Steve Ralston often raved to me about the area’s strong soccer culture...."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/othe...cle_59189ebc-bb2c-5316-a87d-19f7320373c8.html

Reactions: kkherb19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News