ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: The Athletic taking a turn.. for the worse? (and oh crap, am I white knighting?)

MUValjean

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2011
???
It appears that the Athletic is reorganizing once again... focusing on NFL and EPL with the NHL and MLB looking to lose coverage; this is on top of the loss of coverage for many NCAA programs and other sports over the last year or so. I used to think the Athletic was going to lead the way into the future of sports reporting.. and honestly, they have put out some great material. But with the constant cuts and narrowed focus, what seemed to hold promise, not looks like a failed experiment.

Why put these thoughts on the Lair? For the last few days/week there has been a constant bitching and moaning about the coverage we get here on PM. I am not white knighting for @GabeD @JHamilton23 or @drewking0222 ... what I am calling attention to is that in an era where the KC Star has all but dropped Mizzou, where the Athletic has dropped Mizzou and is cutting back elsewhere, and where other "news" outlets see sports as secondary at best... we DO get solid coverage of Mizzou Athletics here, and while the "leaks" are not always 100%, we tend to know more before others from the info we get here at PM. I think about what the landscape would look like with out this site, and others like it, and for someone like me 800 miles away, I would not be able to follow the Tigers like I do outside of @dmatterpd ... and I am sorry to have to ask, how much longer is the PD going to afford his quality coverage?

I don't envy those in sports journalism right now.... but I am thankful that we have the people we do covering our team as well and in-depth as they do (even other Rival's sites are barren). I am also thankful for those "in the know" who add onto that coverage on the message boards. Not sure what the future holds, or if I am going to keep my Athletic subscription, but I know as long as the PM team is continuing to do what they are doing, I am paying my $10/month. Very few options left.

PS: Thank you to @LakeTiger and @MIZ25! for sharing the tweets in the Royals thread first...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News