ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SOME NOTES FROM TUESDAY PRACTICE

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Before I get into this, I want to stress we have no official depth chart and things are going to change. Players will move around. They aren't even in pads yet. So it's pretty tough for new guys to have done anything to significantly move up yet.

*The first two newcomer numbers of camp were awarded. Nyles Gaddy is wearing 21 and Daniel Blood is wearing 16.

*Watching the wide receivers, Ole Miss transfer Dannis Jackson is fast and he's shifty. He showed off some nice moves in one on one drills. Physical talent never really seemed to be the question with him. He seems to be kind of an unknown in the receiver group. Will be interesting to see what he can bring.

*Another guy I'm interested in watching is J'Marion Wayne. I think he gets lost in the shuffle with all the new guys at receiver, but he's clearly a very good athlete and he's got a lot of versatility. With Luther Burden moving into the slot, Wayne is a guy I can see Missouri using kind of like they did Burden last year with him lining up in a lot of different spots and getting the ball in different ways. He's one that intrigues me.

*Watched some special teams stuff. As of right now, it looks like Brady Cook is holding for kicks with reserve punter Luke Bauer backing him up. Freshman Blake Craig is the backup kicker. Harrison Mevis has definitely dropped some bulk from last season.

*Just by watching some of the drills, I'd say the pre-camp depth at quarterback is Brady Cook/Sam Horn/Jake Garcia/Dylan Liable. Again, it's a competition, nothing is decided. That's how I think it stacks up right now based on reps.

*At running back, the order looked to be Cody Schrader/Nathaniel Peat/Tavorus Jones/Jamal Roberts. We've heard a lot of buzz about Roberts, but he's obviously going to have to show it in practice day to day to pass up some of the older guys.

*The offensive line right now (again, nothing official, just based on what I observed in drills) would go like this left to right:

1st: Javon Foster, Xavier Delgado, Connor Tollison, Armand Membou, Marcellus Johnson
2nd: MaKyi Lee, Tristan Wilson, Cam'Ron Johnson, EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Valen Erickson

I know what's going to happen. I can already read the "Oh my God, Johnson can't even beat out Tollison at center. Why are we going to suck again?" replies.

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

It's day two. What could Johnson have done to already get first team reps? That's earned. He'll get every shot to do so.

*Brett Norfleet is listed at 6-7, 235. I'm going to assume that's about accurate. I believe he will play this year. But I think it's going to have to be situational. Just looking at him from above today, he is built more like a bigger wide receiver than an SEC tight end right now. That doesn't mean he can't help. I think he can. I just think they're going to have to pick and choose their spots a little bit until he gets a full year in a college conditioning program. I don't think you can put a guy his size on the end of the line and expect to plow straight ahead in the SEC very often.

That's all I wrote down for today. We get to go back at 11:10 tomorrow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News