ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Some thoughts from today's scrimmage with the backups

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Nobody who we are sure is a starter scrimmaged. It was for young guys and reserves...which is actually the most interesting part about fall camp, especially for a team with very few battles for starting jobs. Here are some observations from Jarod. Now, my thoughts:

Here's every player I saw on the field for even a few reps (not including walk-ons who are very unlikely to see the field):

QB: Jake Garcia, Dylan Laible, Gabarri Johnson
RB: Tavorus Jones, Jamal Roberts
WR: Josh Manning, Micah Manning, Daniel Blood, Marquis Johnson, JaMarion Wayne, Logan Muckey
TE: Brett Norfleet, Jordon Harris, Ryan Hoerstkamp, Max Whisner
OL: MaKyi Lee, Bence Polgar, Logan Reichert, Drake Heismeyer, EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Valen Erickson, Tristan Wilson, Mitchell Walters, Curtis Peagler, Brandon Solis

DE: Johnny Walker, Serigne Tounkara, Joe Moore, Jahkai Lang, Austin Firestone, DJ Wesolak
DT: Marquis Gracial, Jalen Marshall, Sam Williams, Ky Montgomery
LB: Brayshawn LIttlejohn, Tristan Newson, Will Norris, Carmycah Glass
CB: Dreyden Norwood, Marcus Clarke, Nicholas DeLoach, Shemar McNeil
S: Sidney Williams, Tyler Hibbler, Marvin Burks, Philip Roche

General thoughts: The offense got the best of the first half. Four drives, four touchdowns behind Jake Garcia and Dylan Laible. If Garcia's the third-stringer, and it seems fairly obvious he is based on the fact he played and Sam Horn and Brady Cook didn't, the quarterback position is better. Garcia looked pretty good (keep in mind not against the No. 1 defense). One of those drives was assisted by a 12 men on the field penalty on defense inside the five.

In those first four drives, the offensive line held up quite nicely. There really wasn't any pressure on the quarterbacks.

In the second half, the script flipped. Outside of one really nice scramble and 45 (ish) yard completion on the run, Gabarri Johnson was under duress most of the day. Ky Montgomery and Jack Meyer had sacks and Austin Firestone picked up a Johnson fumble (it wasn't on a hit, we couldn't tell if Firestone slapped the ball loose or if Johnson just dropped it) and ran 55 yards for a touchdown. Johnson will benefit greatly from a redshirt year. He's a hell of a runner, but he also looks very much like a guy three weeks into his college career.

Daniel Blood and Micah Manning had some nice catches on the day among the receivers.

Thought it was interesting that Moore and Walker played at defensive end, but Nyles Gaddy didn't. That leads me to believe Gaddy is currently the starter opposite Darius Robinson and it will likely line up that way in the opener.

JaMarion Wayne played quite a bit which leads me to believe he might currently be the odd man out among the returning receivers for playing time.

I don't think we'll see many changes depth chart wise. Here's what I'd expect for the opener

QB: Cook/Horn. Don't think they'll name a starter prior to the first game. Think Cook gets the first series, but Horn plays
RB: Cody Schrader/Nate Peat. Jones and Roberts will both get carries in week one if things go according to plan.
WR: Theo Wease/Luther Burden/Mookie Cooper. Dannis Jackson/Mekhi Miller/Peanut Houston are probably the backups right now, though I haven't seen Houston the last couple of days (we'll ask Drink tomorrow).
TE: Tyler Stephens/Brett Norfleet/Jordon Harris. They'll all play and Whisner might too
OL: Javon Foster/Xavier Delgado/Connor Tollison/Cam'Ron Johnson/Armand Membou. Marcellus Johnson is the sixth man

DE: Nyles Gaddy/Darius Robinson backed up by Moore and Walkler
DT: Kristian Williams/Realus George. Jayden Jernigan and Josh Landry play too
LB: Ty'Ron Hopper/Chad Bailey with Dameon Wilson as the main reserve
STAR: Daylan Carnell/TreVez Johnson
CB: Kris Abrams-Draine, Ennis Rakestraw. Dreyden Norwood and Marcus Clarke will be the backups
S: Joseph Charleston, Jaylon Carlies. Burks and Williams are the backups

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News