ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Takeaways from the second day of Mizzou fall camp

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
Tuesday marked day two of fall camp for the Tigers, so I'm back with more brief takeaways from the media availability portion of practice I got to see.

I think we got an extra 15-20 minutes today which is always appreciated.

But keep in mind my takeaways are only based on what I saw with my own eyes.

1. QB/Center combos

Early on in practice when the quarterbacks were practicing taking snaps from the shotgun, it was Brady Cook with Connor Tollison, Sam Horn with Cam'Ron Johnson, and Jake Garcia with Bence Polgar.

Yes, there's been a lot about Johnson competing for the starting center spot, and honestly, this early in camp it makes sense. He's still learning a new position, scheme and adjusting to a new school.

So, it's nothing that should alarm you it's just what I noticed. Even if Tollison wins the job that would tell you he improved drastically.

But again, it's day two.

2. A couple of players earned their numbers

We already know what number each player will wear when the season comes but the tradition of earning your jersey is still a thing and today, EDGE and Jackson State transfer Nyles Gaddy earned his No. 21 jersey while true freshman wide receiver Daniel Blood earned his No. 16 jersey.

3. Jordon Harris

I missed this yesterday but true freshman tight end Jordon Harris is 6-foot-4. We have him listed at 6-foot-7.

Nonetheless, he's still pretty big for a freshman tight end entering his first couple of days of practice.

He and fellow true freshman Brett Norfleet will have to bulk up but they're already a couple of the biggest tight ends on the roster.

4. Dannis Jackson is shifty

So, the Tigers were doing another drill that I don't know the name of so I'm going to describe what I saw.

The quarterbacks would throw a 10-yard pass to a player who was directly in front of them and that player would have to turn around and basically make the opposing player miss. The point was for the receiver to attack the leverage of his oncoming defender and make him miss.

The rep I saw from wide receiver Dannis Jackson made me think of the word "shifty." He's elusive and a person they want to get out in space.

He's a guy they think is versatile enough to play inside or outside at wide receiver and while he's not a burner, he's quick in the open field (a skill set akin to Luther Burden). I saw a glimpse of that today.

5. The defensive line front four

The defense was doing some drill with barrels mimicking offensive linemen in front of them and I saw Kristian Williams and Darius Robinson out there, so this told me this was the first team.

Here's how the line looked with Robinson lined up at defensive end.

Robinson lined up across from where the right tackle would be, Jayden Jernigan, Williams, and Johnny Walker lined up across from where the left tackle would be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News