ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY *****THE CHAMBER: APRIL 21, 2017*****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
Let's get to it.

FOOTBALL RECRUITING

- With football recruiting gaining a huge boost of momentum with the commitment of James Foster, another Mizzou target to keep an eye on is Timberview (Tex.) athlete Jalen Knox. The 3-star prospect was on hand for the Black and Gold Spring Game this past weekend and while we haven't been able to track him down for an interview yet, he appears to be very pro-Missouri following his visit. Even retweeting James Foster's commitment. Knox is being recruiting primarily as a wide receiver.

- Another Texas product that is high on the Tigers is 3-star running back Craig Williams out of Crosby (Tex.). The 5-foot-9, 170-pound prospect lists Houston, Utah, and Mizzou as the three teams currently standing out in his recruiting process.

Here is what he told Rivals.com Analyst Nick Krueger about Missouri recently:

"They've been recruiting me real hard, they're probably the first ones that have been recruiting me this hard," Williams said. "They're really far away, so that's going to be a big decision if I decide to go there and because it's an out-of-state school. But, it's a great school and they're recruiting me really hard and I like that."

"I know they pass the ball quite a bit, but I know that they had a 1,000 yard rusher (Damarea Crockett) too, so they mix it up quite a bit," he said. "They like to air it out, but at the same time they like to give it to the running back to go get those yards."

- Bradley Central (Tenn.) OLB target Jay Person has told us that Missouri is a school he definitely wants to check out for a visit. No specific date has been set yet.

- Teague (Tex.) defensive back and current UAB commit Tyrese Heard recently picked up an offer from the Tigers. We followed up with him on Thursday and he told us he's still in the learning process about Missouri, but he is planning to check them out at some point this summer or during the fall. Heard has been committed to UAB since August, but has recently picked up multiple power five offers. Along with Mizzou, he claims offers from Washington State, Purdue, and Oregon as well.

- Coaches are on the road currently. Cornell Ford was in Mississippi to see Harry Ballard practice yesterday. According to Ballard coach Ford didn't check in with any of his teammates.

Brian Odom was at Kilgore CC, Tyler CC and Trinity Valley CC in Texas. Not checking in on anyone in particular at this time.

Glen Elarbee was in Council Blufs, Iowa to visit with Iowa Western offensive lineman Anthony McKinney. Missouri hasn't offered at this point.

Josh Heupel was in Yuma, Arizona visiting with Arizona Western tight end Dominick Anderson. While there Heupel offered Anderson.

Andy Hill and Ryan Walters were in the Kansas City area. Brick Haley was in Atlanta, Ga.

- Donte Burton recently decommitted from North Carolina. Since the decommitment Burton has been hearing from Mizzou all the time he told PowerMizzou.com. He has been a priority target of the Tigers for a while.

- After James Foster committed to Mizzou one of the first things he did was reach out to CBC (Mo.) wide receiver Cameron Brown. The three-star receiver said he's only heard from Foster for a couple days. Despite the short amount of time they've been talking Brown said Foster is a cool guy. Foster has also reached out to Jalen Knox, Kamryn Babb, Tank Jenkins, Alfred Thomas, La'Dedric Jackson, Justyn Ross and Jakorey Hawkins.

One person told us this week that with Foster's commitment Mizzou is "hopeful the dominoes start falling." Babb is a guy Foster has mentioned really wanting to play with in the past. We asked around to see if the commitment would make a difference and was told it very likely would. Enough to get him? Who knows. But it helps.

-On other members of the Tiger Ten, Mario Goodrich is very very likely headed to Nebraska. Missouri was in checking on him yesterday, but the gap is wide right now. As we have posted, we hear Iowa has probably pulled ahead for Daniel Parker Jr. Parker tweeted a pic weighing in at 240 the other day. It seems he wants to play DE in college. Most people I talk to think he's a defensive tackle or an offensive lineman. We'll see.

-Speaking of recent commitments, Akial Byers gives Mizzou six defensive tackles and eight defensive linemen in the 2017 class. It's a lot. But asking around about Byers last week I had wanted to know if Missouri would take him if he wanted to commit. The general consensus was "He's too good not to take."

Part two will have our basketball info...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News