ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ****THE CHAMBER: AUGUST 11, 2017****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
So this your all's new reality. Joe Walljasper weaving together sound perspective with just the right amount of whimsy followed by The Chamber dropping knowledge bombs all over your eyeballs. You lovable losers really are the luckiest collection of basement dwellers on the internet. I could continue to pontificate on how great The Chamber, Joe, Gabriel, Brian, Alex and Sean are for thousands and thousands of words, but lets get to the money shot.

First up is the Columbia Parks and Rec E League softball Cy Young winner Brian Austin.

We've reached somewhat of a lull with football recruiting for the moment. College coaches are still recruiting via phone calls, texts and direct messages, but most of their focus is on preparing their current teams for the 2017 season.

With 14 commits Missouri likely has about half of their 2018 class filled. We're expecting Barry Odom and his staff to sign between 25-28 this recruiting cycle. The Tigers are likely done at quarterback, linebacker and safety, although Dallas Craddieth is still a possibility.

The Tigers are still after one, maybe two, running backs. Same at wide receiver. They continue to work for one tight end. It sounds like the coaches would like to add three more offensive lineman. On defense, four lineman and one cornerback would likely finish the class.

Running back is tough to handicap at this point. Mizzou has been in good shape with Craig Williams for a while, but the Texas speedster never did make it up for that unofficial visit over the summer. Malcom Davidson, Jalynn Skyes and Tony St. Julien are the other names we have been hearing Missouri has the best chance with. None seem close to pulling the trigger however.

At receiver the Tigers seem focused on Kamryn Babb, Shocky Jaques-Louis and Cam Jones. Jacques-Louis and Jones could commit anytime with the Tigers being in the best shape with Jones. Babb suffered a knee injury during practice recently, but that changes nothing regarding Mizzou's recruitment of him.

Tight end appears to be a one man list consisting of Messiah Swinson for the moment. More offers are likely to go out after senior film starts to become available though.

Offensive line targets have been committing all over the place lately and only one of them has been to Missouri. Right now Tank Jenkins, Nick Lewis and Josh Ezeudu are the guys Mizzou is in the best shape with. They are still alive with Jerome Carvin and Princeton Pines too.

Highly ranked in-state prospects litter the defensive line top target list. Michael Thompson, Ronnie Perkins and Trevor Trout all continue to be priorities for Mizzou. Madison Norris, Najee Stevens-McKenzie, Alfred Thomas and Trajan Jeffcoat make up the rest of the list.

At cornerback it has come down to Jakorey Hawkins and Donte' Burton. For quite a while Burton seemed most likely to end up a Tiger, but that is not the case anymore.

2019 recruiting will begin to ramp up with coaches able to call recruits starting September 1. Rivals.com has released their Top Ten for Missouri and it features nine St. Louis area prospects. As of now it sounds like there are no in-state prospects that Mizzou views as must gets. None on the level of Thompson, Babb, Perkins or Mario Goodrich. That could change with strong junior years obviously.

The stuffing in this Oreo of knowledge is swim mom extraordinaire Gabriel DeArmond.

On Hawkins, as Chad Simmons wrote, he was very close to a commitment. He even told me the date he hoped it would happen. If it was going to happen last week it would have been Missouri. The feeling I get is his family wants to make sure before he pulls the trigger that far from home. Hawkins wants to come to Mizzou and very well may end up here, but I think it's going to require a visit, probably with his family. Georgia Tech was viewed as the main competition, but South Carolina has picked up the interest and could pose a problem.

Elsewhere in Alabama, Jenkins tweeted he was going to make a decision within the next couple of weeks. It's likely Missouri or Louisville from what we hear. But this one will probably be a battle till signing day, regardless of where he commits. The Tigers have a good shot, but Louisville is right there in the race as well.

Beyond that, not much movement in recruiting since last week on my end really. Still the same holding pattern with Thompson, Perkins and Trout. Missouri has a good to very good shot with all three, but no real feel for when any of them might be ready to end the process.

Latest somewhat educated guesses as to which true freshmen will play: Larry Rountree, Jamal Brooks, Aubrey Miller, Chris Turner, Tyree Gillespie, Akial Byers.

Wanted to spend a few minutes on basketball. Everybody wants to know who the starting five will be. I'd imagine Terrence Phillips and Kassius Robertson are in the backcourt. Michael Porter Jr. probably isn't going to be the sixth man, so he's got a spot. The other two will come down to Jontay Porter, Jeremiah Tilmon, Jordan Barnett and Kevin Puryear I believe. They'll have a number of options. At times they'll probably play big with Porter and Tilmon. At times they'll go small with Puryear and Barnett. I think as far as a starting five it will be Porter OR Tilmon and Barnett OR Puryear. But all seven of those guys will play, along with some mix of Jordan Geist, CJ Roberts and Blake Harris. Beyond that, I've got a tough time seeing many minutes available.

Had someone mention that Missouri is in very good shape with EJ Liddell, a big time 2019 prospect from Belleville. Cuonzo Martin's reputation in the St. Louis area and across the state line into Illinois appears to be every bit what it was billed to be. Liddell would be a heck of a start to 2019 for the Tigers. He has visited campus and we'll check back in with him soon.

Just a side note, something someone pointed out to me: Cuonzo Martin will be the sixth head coach Jordan Barnett has played for in seven years. The only coach to have Barnett for more than a year in that span? Kim Anderson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News