ADVERTISEMENT

****THE CHAMBER, JANUARY 14TH****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Short Chamber this week, but we'll go straight to Pete on the football recruiting trail.

We're a week away from what seems to be Missouri's last big deluge of official visits. On Jan. 21, the Tigers appear set to host Alief (TX) defensive tackle Christopher Cormier and the Monroe (LA) cousin duo of Chuck Hunter and Michael Hunter (although Chuck Hunter mentioned the visit to another Rivals site, I haven't been able to confirm it yet, so things could change). I've also heard rumors about a fourth official visitor that weekend -- someone committed elsewhere, but not previously mentioned on this site -- but I want to confirm it with the recruit before I post his name. Hopefully, that happens this weekend.

As I said on the board this week, I think Cormier is the top target for the coaching staff. That may seem odd, considering that Chuck Hunter is a four-star recruit. I don't think Hunter commits without his cousin, and I'm not sure Missouri will offer Michael Hunter. Here's why:

We may have been premature in saying Missouri was completely done with Anthony Pierson.

Pierson was supposed to visit Arkansas this weekend, but sources told us that the visit was cancelled by the Arkansas coaching staff, and it appears there's no more room for Pierson in Fayetteville. Missouri, our sources are saying, may be making a late push for Pierson. Once again, it's almost guaranteed that we'll never be able to confirm this with Anthony. More likely, we'll just have to see if he shows up at a basketball game some time in the next couple of weeks. I'm not saying Pierson is suddenly a Missouri lock, but it looks like the Tigers, and Pierson, are once again possible partners.

If Pierson does re-commit to Missouri, I think he and Cormier finish the class. I expect Cormier to commit next weekend, should the visit pass muster with his uncle, who is flying in from Seattle to meet his nephew in Columbia. Cormier went under-the-radar after he moved from Louisiana to Texas to live with his godmother, and there are still some eligibility concerns -- but not big ones. He just has to get a passing score on his SAT, and he'll have a few more chances to do that. If things with Pierson don't end up panning out, the Hunters may be more in play as a pair.

Looking ahead to 2012, an article on HuskersIllustrated mentioned that Rockhurst (MO) LB Michael Rose will take other visits. I talked to Rose on Tuesday night, and he told me that he plans to visit Oklahoma, Iowa and Wisconsin. He didn't say Missouri, and that's because, right now, Missouri isn't showing any interest. I'm not sure if that is going to change, as Missouri seems to have its sights set on Michael Scherer and Donavin Newsome to fill the linebacker spots for 2012.

I plan to start working on an article to see how the new recruing rules -- no official offers can be handed out until the start of a recruit's SENIOR season -- will effect early verbal commitments for Missouri. My guess is, that rule may be a reason why a guy like Ondre Pipkins or Durron Neal is planning on taking more time with the recruiting process. Now that only verbal offers can be extended, I imagine more recruits will view those more cautiously, considering there's no paper trail to prove the validity of an offer. I'll speak with the coaches on Signing Day to get more perspective, so expect an article soon after that.

One more note: For those hoping Webster Groves LB Jason Meehan will walk-on to Missouri's team, forget it. Meehan told me he isn't walking on anywhere -- scholarship or bust.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be honest, I don't have much to add this week. Basketball recruiting is still pretty much in the same place it was a week ago with Ben McLemore, Otto Porter and Tony Mitchell. Ideally, you get them all and you're set.

The one question I have about Mitchell is what happens if he doesn't get in this semester? What can he have been doing in Dallas that has him ineligible now but eligible for next semester?

I've sent Tony a message asking that question, but he hasn't responded to my questions in about six months now (and I understand why completely). I don't want to say you have to get him in in January or forget it because I don't know that. But if I had to guess, it seems that way to me.

But other than that, things are very quiet right now. I'm trying to reach Kevin McDaniels who appears to have Missouri quite high on his list, but haven't yet done so. When and if I do, I will post an update.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News