ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ****THE CHAMBER: OCTOBER 13, 2017****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
Happy Friday the 13th everyone. After a column like what JWall just laid down The Chamber sees no reason to prattle on. Let's get to the good stuff.

The Chamber will quickly remind you that anything you learn from The Chamber needs to stay on The Tigers' Lair though. Now for reals, on to the good stuff.

Here's Gabe DeArmond with a little bit of this and a touch of that.

On the recruiting front, there was some talk of Antar Thompson this week. Missouri is not out of it. In fact, he likes them quite a bit. I know there was talk of the qualification stuff with some academic questions. My info is that he'd be good to go in the SEC and at Mizzou. So I think there's a chance. Numbers at defensive tackle are a bit tricky with how many Missouri took last year, but definitely don't write him off yet.

Hoops is just wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. No new developments.

Mostly wanted to focus on the basketball team and some things I've heard here and there after getting to watch a "workout" on Thursday. I use the quotes because honestly, we mostly watched them do testing and agility type drills. So I can't tell you for sure who shot the ball well or anything because we legitimately didn't see a single shot.

But I can tell you just from watching, Jeremiah Tilmon is better than I expected. I mean, the guy can run. He's an athlete for a big man. When they were running, he looks like he's got some speed. He's more coordinated than most seven footers. Every person I've heard from who has been around the team or around practice picks him as the guy who's going to exceed a lot of expectations.

I've heard a lot of good things about Blake Harris too. He's 6-2/6-3, got some good size for a guard. I wouldn't put my money on him necessarily starting against Iowa State, but I'd bet on him being a starter at some point this year.

Jordan Barnett and Kevin Puryear looked like they might be in a little bit better shape than last year just by the eye test.

I think Jontay Porter will be a contributor this year, but I think a year in the strength program and just adjusting to the demand and pace are going to help him. I think he'll have a night here and there where he plays really well and you see the full potential, but I would bet on him being a little bit more of a role player than many fans expect this year. He's going to be in the rotation, he's going to be a piece, but I think anyone thinking he's the second or third best player on this team is probably overshooting it.

This team is big. It's athletic. Soon we'll get to see how that translates to games. One thing that is going to help? As someone told me, they can have a bad possession for 25 seconds and then Michael Porter Jr. can just bail them out at the end because that's how good he is.

My flavor of the week starting five for Iowa State is Terrence Phillips, Kassius Robertson, Porter, Tilmon and Puryear. But like I said, I could see Harris getting into that group.

Last we'll finish up with the MU/KU exhibition. Not a ton that hasn't been on the board really, but I'm expecting an announcement today. At this point, it's waiting on an NCAA waiver. Basically, D1 teams can't play exhibition games against other D1 teams. So they'll have to get a waiver from the NCAA to play it. I'd be absolutely floored if they don't get it. I mean, can you imagine the beating the NCAA would take? "Hey, guys, the NCAA doesn't care about hurricane victims." They'll get it.

The bigger question, is this the first step on the way to something? I don't think so. I think this is a one time deal. Now, it's good that at least a conversation has started (if you're among the crowd that is right and wants Mizzou and kansas to play). And this one started with Cuonzo Martin and Bill Self, which is an interesting sign that maybe Self is more willing to talk to Mizzou than we thought now that everyone who used to be involved with the basketball program in the Big 12 days is gone. Who knows? I still don't think it will happen anytime soon, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step (or some equally brilliant philosophical line to end my portion of this).

The newly engaged Brian Austin will wrap up today's edition of The Chamber.

A few new offers have rolled out this week as Mizzou football continues to recruit for the 2018 class. It's that time of year when new top targets emerge as old ones show waning interest.

Donte Burton commits to Wisconsin and the Mizzou coaches' confidence drops in regards to their chances of landing Jakorey Hawkins means D.J. Brown gets an offer.

Nick Lewis commits to Washington State and Jahmir Johnson gets an offer.

Nate Strong leaves the team and some other targets at running back have dwindling interest in the Tigers means Jeremy Banks joins teammate Jerome Carvin holding a Mizzou offer.

Sean Williams is contacting each of the new offers in an attempt to set up interviews.

Johnathan Hess is another target we've heard has likely lost interest in Mizzou.

If you missed it Hassan Haskins landed an offer from Michigan yesterday. I wouldn't expect Mizzou coaches to adjust their evaluation and extend an offer due to that development though. Here's the evaluation I heard from someone whose opinion I respect. "Pretty good size. Pretty good overall athlete, but not a really fast kid. A slight cut below a Power Five back," they explained. Only time will tell who is right.

Kenney Lyke was mentioned on the board earlier this week. From what I'm told Mizzou evaluated his film and decided not to extend an offer. The former Michigan State safety is now at Mississippi Delta JC.

At this point it doesn't sound like their will be very many priority recruits in Columbia to see Mizzou take on Idaho. The early kickoff, bad opponent and likely poor attendance are all probably factoring into that decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News