ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY ****THE CHAMBER: OCTOBER 14TH 2016****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Anthony Mack moved his visit up from next weekend to this weekend and gets into town today. He plans to visit Georgia next week but said if he really likes a school he can commit on the spot. It appears Villanova never got to meet with Mack because I’m told his grandmother died last week and they couldn’t come down to see him. So it’s Missouri and Georgia, at least as of now. I would put the odds at him to commit this weekend at 60 percent. I’ve been wrong before but that’s where I put the odds.

Now the Tigers aren’t done if Mack does commit. Felipe Haase (who does not have a Rivals profile we can find for some reason, but here is a story on when he committed to Colorado State) down at Miami Christian is set to come up for a visit next weekend. Missouri is one of five visits he has set. Purdue, Louisville, South Carolina and Pitt are the others. It seems Louisville and Purdue are the two other school to worry about. We’re trying to get in touch with Haase but I don’t know much about him other than he played for the Chile national team. Maybe Bossi can speak more on him. Does this mean Missouri is going to oversign to try and get a big? Yes. Are they done after three? Who knows? To quote the man who signs my paychecks, “they’ll take as many as they need.” But I think three is the number for this class. We’ll see what else we can get on Haase.

It's also been reported by various people that Missouri was in to see 2018 prospects Jordan Lathon and Talen Horton-Tucker yesterday, so the Tigers are looking at future classes as well.

As for the actual team, it appears Frankie Hughes is shooting the lights out of the ball in practice from what we are told. Looks like Cullen VanLeer is too. Reed Nikko is a full go after hip surgery earlier in the year and hasn’t looked bad coming off of that. Jordan Barnett has shown flashes too according to people we've spoken with.

FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Let's start here with an interesting little tidbit we picked up earlier this week. We're hearing that Missouri has been in touch with current Alabama quarterback Mac Jones of late. Jones was committed to Kentucky before switching to the Tide. We'd heard a little bit about him maybe looking at Missouri a couple months ago, but never really could tell if it was legitimate or not. It now appears that the two sides have at least been talking. However, it's our take that Mizzou might like Mississippi State commit Keytaon Thompson a little bit more. Thompson has publicly said he'll likely visit Mizzou, so that's probably the more likely option at this point. With Jones, it seems to be a situation where IF he decides to actually look elsewhere and IF Missouri misses out on Thompson, this could be a situation to monitor. As of right now, probably not anything more than that.

The Tigers sent out quite a few new offers this week and one thing is clear: Just because a kid is committed somewhere else doesn't mean Missouri isn't going to take a shot. Here are the kids we know got Mizzou offers in the last few days:

Adam Sparks (Vandy commit)
Caleb Sampson (Tulane commit)
Zion Debose (Appalachian State commit)
2018 prospect Cameron Wire

I exchanged messages with Sparks after the offer and he told me "as of now I am committed to Vandy, but I also learned a lot from watching my older brother when he went through his recruiting last year. I learned to appreciate and entertain all offers that are best suited for me. That being said, at this time I'm more committed to my high school teammates and finishing our regular season strong going into the playoffs. I will focus more on my recruiting when our season is finished. I hope that's with a State Championship!"

I also checked in with Wire after he received his offer and he told me he has been in contact with Glen Elarbee from Mizzou.

"I know he's the oline coach , I haven't really gotten to meet him but he says we will be in touch."

So obviously it's very early in his recruiting process for Wire. But being the first SEC offer is noteworthy.

*As far as in-state news goes, 2018 prospects Daniel Parker and Mario Goodrich visited Arkansas for the Bama game last weekend. Parker will be at Notre Dame as the Irish play Stanford this weekend. Goodrich picked up an offer from Iowa State yesterday. I also saw it reported that CBC standout Kamryn Babb will be visiting Michigan State this weekend.

I've got a handful of other messages out this morning and last night. If we get any updates on anyone in this thread or beyond. we'll make sure to pass it on. We're honestly kind of in a holding pattern right now. Missouri hosts most visits after the season. Kids are focused on the season. 2018 kids aren't usually committing yet. So while there are things happening, there's nothing concrete at all. It's just kind of the time of year where kids and programs dance with each other. More visits should be getting set up soon and we'll be on all the news as it happens.

Got a travel day today to get to Gainesville, but will stay on top of anything that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News